12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
8A East Texas
Oat 'n' Apple Chewies for horses

1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup oat bran cereal or ground oatmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour (approx.)

Preheat oven to 350°F
Oil a 9inch x 9inch square cake pan. Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
The batter will start to shrink away from the sides and it will be firm to the touch. Slice into squares while still warm.
Keep chewies in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or bag.

Last edited:
Molasses Cookies Horse Treats

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bran
1 cup molasses
1 cup grated carrot or apple

Preheat oven to 375°F

Oil two cookie sheets.
Put aside a small bowl of white sugar and a drinking glass with a flat bottom.

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients thoroughly. The mixture shouldn’t be too wet, and should stick together. Add more flour to make the mixture firmer and hold together if necessary.

Drop by teaspoonfuls, about 1 1/2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Grease the bottom of the glass, dip it in the sugar, and stamp the cookies to flatten them slightly. Bake for about 10 minutes.

This makes about 25 cookies, depending on the size. Store in an air-tight container or bag.

Shucks to the horses . . . I want some!
tongue.png

Well I make "dog" pb & oat biscuits that everyone eats. As long as there are no ingredients that can't be eaten by humans, I say go for it. I will add that I have never made either of these recipes (no horses) but EllyMae asked earlier if I had any recipes for horse treats and found these.

Last edited:
They are good "people" treats too...my DD and DH steal them before they cool enough to deliver to the horses
roll.png

I also add 1/3 C of oat bran and a couple TBL of flax seeds...te girls love em!

Back
Top Bottom