Treats for my little ones

slugmar

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
I was wondering what kind of items i could use for treats for the little ones there about 2 weeks old now give them bread now and them just a little piece but i want to get them use to seeing a red bowl at night time and know that is there treat bowl.

I gave my chicks fresh grass which they loved. Fruits are a good choice too!!!
tongue.png

I was wondering.....are B moths good for baby chicks? Not sure what everyone calls them....they use them here for fishing..very squishy! Im sure high in protein...but good for them? and if so, at what age?

When feeding babies treats such as the ones mentioned, it is a good idea to make sure the have chick grit available. The only thing I give them is boiled eggs untill they are around 4 weeks old. JMHO>

They love bread, but make sure they don't get to much remember the little crop doesn't hold much and bread has little to no nutritional value. They need the nutrients found in the feed to grow up healthy with strong bones and healthy feathering.

my personal opinion is not to give any excessive treats as this detracts from the balanced nutrition in the starter (the ratio between all the different vitamins and minerals and amino acids is very important)...mine do get green (they "graze" with mamma hen and will only eat what she directs them to eat...and free choice probiotic (live culture) yogurt... I dont start treats until around 8-10 weeks (unless in the hot weather...then I serve their feed in "watermelon bowls" or such as this contains so much fluid and keeps them from dehydration).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom