Treats in hot weather

Dixiechicks2020

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Hi y’all,
It has been really hot out the last few days. I want to know what frozen treats can I give my chicks on a daily basis. I have found them panting so I’ve been giving them frozen vegetables on ice. So far I’ve given them chopped spinach, frozen blueberries, and I’ve thrown a few grumbly’s on ice as well.I don’t want to give them something on a daily basis that will harm them. But when it’s really hot out and they are panting, I know I need to do something. So, what is safe for them to eat on a possible daily basis when it’s very hot out. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hi y’all,
It has been really hot out the last few days. I want to know what frozen treats can I give my chicks on a daily basis. I have found them panting so I’ve been giving them frozen vegetables on ice. So far I’ve given them chopped spinach, frozen blueberries, and I’ve thrown a few grumbly’s on ice as well.I don’t want to give them something on a daily basis that will harm them. But when it’s really hot out and they are panting, I know I need to do something. So, what is safe for them to eat on a possible daily basis when it’s very hot out. I would appreciate any suggestions.

So I have this stuff called Bahia grass all in my yard and you can strip the little seed bits from the top. My flock goes nuts for them so I spent a day or so harvesting them when I was out and about and started chilling them for my ladies.

1591628684722.png

I give mine freezer peas as well, and my flock LOVES watermelon. The rines, the pieces, a whole one. A whole watermelon is devoured in an hour by my flock, and it’s really good for them and keeps them hydrated. I’m in Texas, so heats a big problem sometimes, but watermelons worked for me! It’s also sugary so can work as a sort of electrolyte

I was out of fruit when it was really hot a couple of days ago. They love plain greek yogurt and I saw that they were panting, so I thought hmmm....I took a scoop of yogurt for each chicken and put it in the freezer. Bad news though - I completely forgot about it that day but they did very much enjoy them the next day. I didn't want it completely frozen, but they were having fun with it.

I don’t bother as I go on vacation for 2 weeks every summer and the family goes to work every day. I don’t see a reason to give frozen treats some times in the summer but not consistently. Therefore I never worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom