Treats question...anyone else have picky chickens???

newbie coops

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Northern New England
We have two separate flocks of chickens - 22 hens and a rooster two years old, and a new flock we keep separate from the older ones, 24 pullets one suspected rooster 10 weeks old. The older flock will not eat COOKED CARROTS no matter how I try to disguise them - whether I put them in stew, mixed veggies, casseroles, etc. The bowl will be picked clean, except a pile of cooked carrots on the bottom. Seems the new flock has the same dislike of cooked carrots. Anyone else have chickens that won't eat something like that? They'll eat raw carrots. I shred them in the food processor and put them in with cabbage and other greens and they eat them, but not cooked.

You know, mine won't eat carrots at all...I sometimes think that it is a food "color" issue. Anything green or red is fair game, but an odd color is suspect. They wouldn't eat purple cabbage for the longest time, but really liked green cabbage heads cut into quarters and left for the pecking!

Mine are carb freaks like me. They love oatmeal, bread mixed with milk, cornbread, etc. but they turn their noses up at most veggies!! I've created monsters.

celery
raw carrots

but they live to hijack the cookies from the dogs they will actually chase my dogs for their cookies

Mine won't eat cooked carrots, either. I stuck a bowl of mixed veggies out there for them and they went NUTS- it was gone in ten seconds. When I grabbed the bowl to bring it back inside, it was full of carrots.

are chickens went from baby chicken food to the next step and they wont eat it we are new at raising chickens and dont know what to do. also does anyone know how much scratch you should feed chickens when you start feeding them scratch. Help!

Mine wont touch broccoli and strawberries. they love spinach and cherries. Their house in built in the middle of three wild cherry trees and they love those but leave strawberries I give the rott.
hu.gif

and the love boiled eggs and stale cherrios

Last edited:
My oldest, Parsley, will NOT eat spinach, kale, chard, broccoli, cabbage, raw carrots or blackberries/blueberries. She loves greek yogurt, apples, cheerios, cherries, meal worms, cucumber and will tolerate watermelon. Of course, she does not free range (as I would like) so she doesn't have the thrill of digging up the greens - - maybe that's what is missing?

Back
Top Bottom