Treats question...anyone else have picky chickens???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newbie coops, Jun 4, 2010.

1. newbie coops

newbie coops Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Northern New England
    We have two separate flocks of chickens - 22 hens and a rooster two years old, and a new flock we keep separate from the older ones, 24 pullets one suspected rooster 10 weeks old. The older flock will not eat COOKED CARROTS no matter how I try to disguise them - whether I put them in stew, mixed veggies, casseroles, etc. The bowl will be picked clean, except a pile of cooked carrots on the bottom. Seems the new flock has the same dislike of cooked carrots. Anyone else have chickens that won't eat something like that? They'll eat raw carrots. I shred them in the food processor and put them in with cabbage and other greens and they eat them, but not cooked.

2. Prodigal son

Prodigal son Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    High Plains
    It's weird, mine won't touch cabbage.

3. Eglantine

Eglantine New Egg

Jun 4, 2010
    You know, mine won't eat carrots at all...I sometimes think that it is a food "color" issue. Anything green or red is fair game, but an odd color is suspect. They wouldn't eat purple cabbage for the longest time, but really liked green cabbage heads cut into quarters and left for the pecking!

4. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Mine are carb freaks like me. They love oatmeal, bread mixed with milk, cornbread, etc. but they turn their noses up at most veggies!! I've created monsters.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    celery
    raw carrots

but they live to hijack the cookies from the dogs they will actually chase my dogs for their cookies

6. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is funny - mine like all things from the cabbage family (broccoli flowers, broccoli leaves, kale, cauliflower leaves, cabbage, etc.)

7. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Mine won't eat cooked carrots, either. I stuck a bowl of mixed veggies out there for them and they went NUTS- it was gone in ten seconds. When I grabbed the bowl to bring it back inside, it was full of carrots.

8. patriciafisher

patriciafisher New Egg

Apr 24, 2010
    are chickens went from baby chicken food to the next step and they wont eat it we are new at raising chickens and dont know what to do. also does anyone know how much scratch you should feed chickens when you start feeding them scratch. Help!

9. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Mine wont touch broccoli and strawberries. they love spinach and cherries. Their house in built in the middle of three wild cherry trees and they love those but leave strawberries I give the rott. [​IMG]
    and the love boiled eggs and stale cherrios

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  10. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    My oldest, Parsley, will NOT eat spinach, kale, chard, broccoli, cabbage, raw carrots or blackberries/blueberries. She loves greek yogurt, apples, cheerios, cherries, meal worms, cucumber and will tolerate watermelon. Of course, she does not free range (as I would like) so she doesn't have the thrill of digging up the greens - - maybe that's what is missing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by