Tree roosting & chicks

glikk

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Neighbours chickens free roam on their property and the property I live on.

At night they roost in trees so I figured I'd share a few photos.

We live where there are limited predators so I guess this is how they've decided to raise chickens. Seems to work well the chickens are all fairly old (unsure ages).

Also adding a few photos of the current 3 chicks they are 4 weeks old.

Enjoy!

(If anyone has guesses on what they're mixes of please let me know out of interest. None of the chickens are pure breeds as far as I'm aware).

*Edit: These aren't photos of all the chickens on the property there are 13 total including the chicks.

DSCF2049.jpg
dscf3313-jpg.3309173
DSCF3330.jpg
DSCF3307.jpg

And now for the chicks! (And a photo of their hen & roo)

DSCF3531.jpg
DSCF3522.jpg
DSCF3244.jpg
DSCF3172.jpg

DSCF0581.jpg
20221101_173107.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF3313.jpg
    DSCF3313.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 16
They're all so pretty!!! Nothing wrong with what they're doing as it depends on your own personal objectives especially if you're not in it to collect eggs for eating. I have a friend on the Big Island that has a wild flock of Seabrights on his 80 acres. They are positively beautiful to watch as they forage, sort of like a wave moving down the green hillside. :love That Rooster is amazing! Looks like a Golden Phoenix. And the hens look like Blue Australorp or Orpington, Silver Laced or Columbian Wyandotte mix. But who knows, could be many other breeds.

They're all so pretty!!! Nothing wrong with what they're doing as it depends on your own personal objectives especially if you're not in it to collect eggs for eating. I have a friend on the Big Island that has a wild flock of Seabrights on his 80 acres. They are positively beautiful to watch as they forage, sort of like a wave moving down the green hillside. :love That Rooster is amazing! Looks like a Golden Phoenix. And the hens look like Blue Australorp or Orpington, Silver Laced or Columbian Wyandotte mix. But who knows, could be many other breeds.
Yeah we don't know the origins of the chickens except that at one point there was about 30.

We don't get that many breeds in NZ so there's only so many types they could possibly be. My guess on the Rooster is him being a welsummer and the hen being australorp / orpington mixes aswell as maybe something partially barred rock somewhere down the line. 2 who aren't pictured who I think are welsummer/brown leghorn mixes.

Fun trying to figure out what they could possibly be.

A mottley crew for sure!

Back
Top Bottom