1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tremetodes Yup The great wormer debate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7L Farm, Sep 27, 2012.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I've.never delt with flukes. I have.watched shows where people have injested meat etc and contracted them. They do not stay in the gut and can pass into other areas of the body. Now I don't know.if your chickens can pass it to you. But I can say as much as I have delt.with safeguard..all the various animals I have to give it to for worming....as much as I have had it on me...sprayed in my mouth and eyes from wrestling non appreciative animals....I've never had ill affects. Nor my Hubby who still eats the eggs. Fendabendazole family of drugs is even used on people who contract nasty parasites overseas.
    But it is your choice. ..you possibly could have no issues. I now the.dry sandy soil too well.. I'm in FL and have to worm often.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I didn't read your last post but I'm gonna tell you where I stand with all this. I sell eggs, veggies, honey etc. I use no chemicals on my farm. Ok. People pull up & ask me for eggs I tell them no I don't, I had to worm them they will never come back. Its crazy but true. People worm cattle etc everyday but I guarantee they won't ever come back if I worm my chickens. Plus, the problem is no one knows how long after you worm chickens you can eat the eggs. Its crazy but true.I can't afford a law suit for three dollar a dozen eggs. They can't sue me if I've never used chemicals on my farm. Thats my feelings I could be totally wrong. Plus, I'm still not sure if worming them is the correct thing to do.I have no reports saying this is what you do if your chickens have trematodes do you. I've talked to poultry experts & they don't know. I'm totally lost on what I should do.
    I've read on this forum for a long time & never read anything about what I'm going through so I'm very leary.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Just wanted to mention I really appreciate your concern. I really really do. I'm just paranoid & don't know what to do if I did I'd correct the problem. I had the medicine you recommened in my hands & returned it back to the shelf. The reason why is stated in the post above.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay, I just found more info on trematodes. . .they recommend the common treatment for tapeworm--praziquantel (biltricide) to treat this liver fluke. The site for this info is:pathmicromed.sc.edu/parasitology/trematodes.htm. It can be transmitted from contaminated water and septic systems among other ways. Yeah, i know what you mean about not wanting to chemically worm chickens--many people here on BYC don't like using drugs for any reason. I kind of agree with that philosophy unless I can't handle something with a more organic treatment. I sell eggs too.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I understand your thoughts on this. I'm only expressing my opinion...no true facts.
    My only concern is That when the slightest possibility that it can pass to people by egg. Even if people can't.get it by egg...If they find one in an egg they got.from you...that customer is gone.
    It says people can get it from eating the meat of infected birds etc...
    but nothing on the eggs....although it said it can be found in eggs if flukes get into ovaduct.
    They don't just stay in the gut..they can go to lungs...brain..etc. Dang Monsters inside me TV show.... Lol.

6. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Where can you get Safeguard or Panacure? Is it something you can get over the counter? Should you eat the eggs while treating? Thanks for any info.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Safeguard or Panacure can be found at any feedstore for goats...horses...livestock. As with any chemical given..it is best to wait 30 days to clear the animals system incase someone has an allergy to the chemical or avoid chemical build up. it is always.best to have a fecal done to pinpoint what parasite you are dealing with...but not everyone has that option with poultry.

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

I'm not arguing your thoughts & concerns. There's two patholigist in Texas & I have spoken to one of them & he told me that he wouldn't worry about worming the birds. I think I will take another fecal sample to him & see what he says. They all say this is very rare & don't know how to treat the birds are if they even need to be treated again nobody knows. There's no legal medicine out there to treat the birds even if they need the treatment. No, one really knows after you worm a bird how long you really wait before you can eat the eggs everybody's just guessing. The DR also mentioned the avian vet could of miss diagnosed his findings. It says trematodes are hard to diagnose. I'm lost on which way to turn. Am I worried you bet I am . If I wasn't concerned I wouldn't be sitting here typing. You even say above no true facts & its just an opinion.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yes...it seems rather rare and it does say.it can be hard to diagnose. I was only giving points to ponder..... I have no true knowledge on flukes except what I've read or watched. It is suppose to be more common.in waterfowl. you would think their.would be more info on the subject since people eat waterfowl....
    Glad you are getting other opinions. I have no doubt on your security of the issue...sorry if I seemed.that way. My typing is often my mind pondering thoughts.

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You definitely have me pondering no doubt. I'm freaking out because there's no answer. I do sell eggs & don't want my customers to get worms from my eggs no doubt. Its very strange indeed I mean most peoples chickens get common worms that are easily dealt with not me I get a fluke. I'm beginning to think this is a fluke.
    I just can't find the answer to my problem. I've searched its going on 4 days now & I'm right back where I started. You mean I'm the only person on this planet that has chickens with trematodes. Sure seems that way. That's why I'm so leary about treating them. I mean what do you treat them with if in reality there's no medicine available to rid them from trematodes. Back to another lab I guess this is beyond my belief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by