Trespassers Suck

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by booker81, Jul 11, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    But the County Dispatch by our property RULES.

Have a giddy State Trooper on his way there to take care of the situation and apply "everything legally possible" against said trespasser.

Seriously, if a property is posted every 10 feet with neon orange and yellow NO TRESPASSING signs, it's a good bet you shouldn't go there....even if no one is there at the moment....

2. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Hee hee! I have a friend with a sign of "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again."

At this rate though, I have a serious doubt on the reading/comprehension ability of the folks we've caught previously. I'm going to LMAO if they get hauled out and are stoned/drunk/high out of their minds on top of trespassing.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Best way I have heard to take care of trespassers is to dig holes randomly along the property line. If said trespasser falls in the hole and breaks his leg he just might get the idea. If you are afraid they will sue put the holes just outside your property fence line. But if someone is there to do damage or steal I dont think they would like to explain in court what they were doing trespassing on your property. (A good ole boy sherriff told me to try this)

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have 7 dogs, & 4 are guard dogs. Tresspassers don't dare.....

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This property is protected by the second amendment.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    My property is fenced, marked, well posted. Closed electric gate to my actual
    home and yard. Motion sensors and trip lights as you approach.

I mean DO NOT TRESPASS. Not even the UPS man gets past the gate.

Saw some lights up in my woods one night. They're my woods, and I'm sneaky.
    The first warning they had was when I spoke from the dark..."I don't shoot to miss."
    I gave them a choice....Lay down their guns, or I'm going to have to call the coroner.

They made a wise choice.

7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    When people go where they are not supposed to, they go there for a specific reason, like to bury a body or two. Beware of trespassers. They are probably up to no good, and they sure don't want any live witnesses.

Rufus

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    So--what happened?

9. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    My family has 400 acres of land - from a purchase my grandparents wisely made in the 60s. We tree farm most if it - some as red pine planting - many acres started by my grandfather, but staggered right up to the planting we did about 5 years ago (of 20,000 red pine). We also do selective harvest of hardwoods and pulpwood, and we really, really try to manage it as ecologically sound as possible - as well as leaving a lot of areas alone. There is a small spring fed lake on the property too. It's a beautiful piece of land, and it's our goal to keep it that way [​IMG]

Some folks don't look at it like that - they look at it like a free place in the middle of nowhere to poach, vandalize, fish without permission, get drunk/high, dump trash and other lovelies. Because we live about an hour away, I guess it's the bad "local" mentality. We surely aren't rich - my grandparents paid the property off - but we pay a HEFTY chunk in taxes (forestry is no longer considered ag, so the property is all now zoned "residential"). We have a hunt club that pays part of the tax money for us, in return, we've managed to make it one heck of a haven for wildlife and plants.

We've started having a LOT of vandalism problems again - breaking into buildings, destroying the swing by the lake, breaking the gate down, cutting good young trees, stealing, and the litter is unreal. We've dealt with people hunting not even 50 yards from the cabin, our raft on the lake was shot so it's half sinking, and we had a rowboat stolen.

So, we stopped being nice. It's tiring catching the same people every month out there, and telling them to get off and stay off. They just wait until we aren't there anymore. We no longer will confront or talk to anyone who comes on the property. A call is made to the county dispatch, and apparently there are a lot of bored State Troopers who hang out there who are happy to run out and make some money, and there is a local tow shop that is happy to come out and tow vehicles.

This time it was someone who drove partway in and parked, and pulled a canoe into the lake. A neighbor called us and gave us the plate numbers, and I gave them to dispatch. They gave me the name, didn't recognize it, so off a trooper went to have fun. He told me to expect a subpoena in the mail. [​IMG] We HEAVILY post the property - I don't remember what regulation is, but we like to go for every 5-10 feet - and we repost yearly.

If folks would be respectful, we'd turn a blind eye. But when they steal every single one of my husband's tree stands for hunting, they bust up my nice wooden swing, and they leave trash in the lake, I'm not going to be nice to anyone. We manage the place to have it stay nice, wild, and beautiful so we can enjoy, our friends and family can enjoy, and more importantly the kids can learn from it. I don't want to have to explain to some kid why there is a cat skeleton in a cat carrier in the woods 1/4 mile in from the road (found that this spring). People are sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by