Trespassers Suck

It is unfortunately the thoughts in peoples heads now a days that all open land is open to anybody who comes by.
the stories going around in farming and ranching circles would make you sick.

We had hunters come on our property and go driving through our planted fields. DH caught them. They said they had permission from the land owner. Idiots were talking to the landowner.
kicked them off.
They came back about an hour later asking to hunt. Response is not fit to print.

Had other tresspassers who took off through our place and took out a gate the county road crew had leading to the gravel pit.

Then people wonder why private propert owners do not let them on. Go figure.

Quote:
you sound like you live near me. I had fools actually pull in my driveway in front of the garage to dump unwanted raccoons, cats, dogs and one time a baby skunk. I wish it were legal to "cull" idiots from the herd .. but alas, Castle Doctrines don't let me kill somebody because they are stupid.

Kinda funny that now it's ILLEGAL to use rock salt at all, because you are shooting to wound or maim. Chock another one up the bad guys.
idunno.gif

Agreed on the title. We get a lot of trespassers because there's government land right behind my family's. The only way off the gov't land w/o going back the way you came is through our's. One time some person rode their horse all the way up to our cabin (Which was horrible on the horse because that path is full of sharp rocks that would seriously hurt its hooves) and from the looks of things, I'm pretty sure either my dog or rooster spooked it. My bet's on the rooster since Lucifer really was quite terrifying to anything bigger than he. I think the squirrel was the only thing willing to take him on... He won that one, too.

I hate the kids on ATVs that ride at all hours of the nights (ATV's aren't allowed on the land, so we threw the law at them. Fixed that.). The people who think they can camp and set illegal fires during burn bans *in the middle of a forest!* on the trails (the rooster and the coops strategic positioning helped fix this problem. Apparently, campers don't appreciate crowing at 5 am
wink.png
). The random folks who were hiking the core land and happen upon ours don't bother me so much, except when their dogs are off-leash. But those are rarer and rarer. I kind of feel bad when a family of 5 gets chased off by my dog, though.
The drunkards driving around some fancy gator who yell at me to get back in the kitchen? Not so much.

Quote:
you sound like you live near me. I had fools actually pull in my driveway in front of the garage to dump unwanted raccoons, cats, dogs and one time a baby skunk. I wish it were legal to "cull" idiots from the herd .. but alas, Castle Doctrines don't let me kill somebody because they are stupid.

Kinda funny that now it's ILLEGAL to use rock salt at all, because you are shooting to wound or maim. Chock another one up the bad guys.
idunno.gif

Heh, I live due west of you - outside of Morrice/Perry. Our family property is in Montcalm Co.

The worst part? In an effort to combat taxes (we are at war with the assessor), we enrolled the place in Commercial Forest Land, which allowed public hunting. Talk about a horror. Being I've never hunted public land, it was just appalling how destructive people where. The second -and last- year we had it open to hunting, my husband and I walked most of the land and found a bunch of carcasses of deer that had been poorly shot and never recovered. I can't tell how many folks shot yearling deer that I saw loading up and taking away, untagged.

You can bet they found out it was open to hunt in minutes - opening day there was 20+ vehicles parked on the property - you couldn't go anywhere without seeing orange.

Now however, 3 years since it's been reclosed, folks STILL won't understand it's NOT open to public anymore - the reposting should kinda let you know!

herfrds - I can't tell you how many times I've had or heard the "I have permission from the owner". Really? What is their name? "Well Fred S............. gave me permission to fish here years ago." Yeah, and Fred S. (my grandpa) died 20 years ago, and even before that got sick of people and closed permission to anyone 10 prior when we had 60 some break-ins in one year.

Gah.

Wow, that really makes me sad to hear what you guys have to put up with from some people. It's mostly sad that the decent people that would respect your land and clean up after themselves at all times have lost out because of those that blew it. Used to have a favorite hike in Tahoe that started only about a mile from my house. It was an all day hike and with a beautiful little lake at the top. Used that trail for 20 years and never saw more than a few people on it. A couple years ago, they sold the property that we passed through to reach the lake and the new owners put up the signs. We can still get to the lake, but we had to drive 20 miles to the other side of the mountain to get to the other path. It was pretty sad, but I can sure see why they might have decided enough is enough if there were some that didn't respect their property.

I had a friend back in Illinois who used to love to hunt. He had grown up on a farm in Minnesota so he was comfortable with talking to farmers. In order to get permission to hunt on peoples land he'd go out on a Summer afternoon and drive from farm to farm courteously introducing himself and asking for permission to hunt. More times than not he was given permission. The flip side of the coin is the hunters who decide to go and ask for permission at 5:00 in the morning the opening day of hunting season. They usually don't get permission.

booker our cousin had a similar happening concerning someone using the grandfathers name. He just let them dig a deep hole.
They claimed they had life time permission from KC to hunt that property. Cousin asked when it was given. 10 years ago, they are really good friends with KC. cousin asked what the KC stood for. they knew the first name, but nobody, not friends or family called him that.
The kicker was when the cousin told them KC had died 20 years before and nobody called him by that name and to get the heck off of his property.

It's fun letting them dig themselves into a hole.

got a neighbor who treats our place like a private hunting preserve. his hunters act the same way. They don't ask and act like jerks.
Our SO deputies are great. we busted the neighbor this spring with tresspassing.
Got game cameras going up to catch the hunters who are driving all over our place. then they are getting charged too.

the scariest story I heard happened down in Utah. Guy found his gate busted up. the lock had been shot and his fence tore up. Called a couple of friends to come help him fix the mess.
While they were there the guys who did came up on ATV's, drunk and carrying guns.
It got pretty tense. one of the friends had brought a camera and started taking pictures another got on the phone with 911.
the ATV guys took off.
SO busted them later. Had a long list of charges filed against them and they had to pay fines and for the property they damaged.

It's amazing how folks treat property that isn't theirs versus how they treat their own (sometimes).

We are slowly getting some neighbors' good respect though. We chose to follow a QDMA plan for deer hunting, and while one of the arguments is that as soon as that year old buck crosses the road he will be shot is usually true, we've had a few neighbors say they've never seen the size and quality of deer they've seen this last year (third year of QDMA). Deer hunting is BIG time there, and more than a couple guys have been thrilled to get a "big buck" for the first time ever because of good deer coming off our place - and in turn they want to protect our place just like we do from poaching and trespassing. Thats how we got the neighbor who called us about the trespasser this time on our side. Funny how things work out that way
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom