Triangle shaped lump in chickens throat (NOT CROP)

PeepingK

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
Ok so I have kind of a weird question. My 6 month old Whiting True Blue Rooster has been coughing/sneezing for the last month or so and no one else in the flock has experienced any of these symptoms at all. Thought it might be gapes or a respiratory illness at first but since he’s the only one that’s sick I’m guessing it can’t be either of those.
Today I was feeling his throat with my fingers and felt something that felt like a triangle shaped bone in his throat. When I touched it I could move it around slightly. It almost feels like it’s part of his anatomy but none of my other chickens have this so that can’t be it.
Anyway since I’m not very good at describing what I felt I took a pic from google and drew a little triangle shape approximately where I felt it, maybe a little higher than what I drew in the picture.
I’m going to try opening his beak and looking down his throat later today.

Attachments

• FB7C2AD3-DC37-46A2-889E-9DA9EECD1EE9.jpeg
    FB7C2AD3-DC37-46A2-889E-9DA9EECD1EE9.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 21
If it’s about a finger width below the base of the beak, I’m betting it’s the structure for the air piping. Pry open his mouth and you will see air pipe dead center and food pipe is everywhere else. That triangle feeling piece is the structure/muscles that control it.

All else, pry that beak open and have a look. It’s pretty neat to see what’s going on in there.

Back
Top Bottom