Tried Antibiotics, Still Sick

GingerLiz67

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2019
I have two Orpington hens that aren't quiet to laying age yet. One I just brought back from the State Fair where she started showing signs of being sick (Blue Orpington), the other stayed at home with the rest of the flock (Lavender Orpington). Blue has a wet cough/sneeze and a gurgle or phlegm in her chest, the Lavender just has a wet sneeze, I haven't noticed a gurgle with her.
I isolated them immediately and started treatment with injecting Tylan 50 for 5 days as I previously did with another sick chicken a couple months ago. I just did the last shot last night and they still sound the same. They're alert, active, eating and drinking, and don't appear sick, they just sound horrible.

And I noticed this morning two of my Salmon Faverolles that are still in the main flock have started sneezing. I am hoping it's just from the drastic temperature changes as we transition into fall (it's started to cool off at night).

I'm at a loss at what to do to help any of them at this point, I'm hoping ya'll can help me :(

It's a respiratory disease. Perhaps @casportpony can help you.

Which state fair did you go to? I also showed at a state fair this year, now I'm concerned that it could be the same one.

Welcome to BYC! sorry your birds are sick.:hugs Is a vet an option? If not, you might want to contact this place about testing some of your birds.
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

When you gave the Tylan 50, did you give enough of it? The *minimum* effective dose is 0.2 ml per pound of bodyweight every 6-8 hours. If you didn't give that, you could try giving it again using the higher dose. Since Tylan can cause severe injection site reactions, I would give it orally.

Another drug you could try is Baytril, which is what I would use, but it's banned for use in poultry, so that is something to consider. Read about the ban here:
FDA bans enrofloxacin use in poultry

Without knowing what illness your hens have it's hard to know how to treat them. If they have mycoplasma, you can use Tylan or Denagard, but if they have E. Coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, or Coryza, you will need something else.

Edited to add
Baytril sources
Denagard

Last edited:
The vet is definitely an option, I'll do what it takes to care for my babies but would it be worth packing up four chickens to take and get that big fat vet bill for them to just tell me it's viral and it'll run its course? That's my concern. I did 1cc each chicken, once a day for 5 days, which is what I was told to do. I could try giving it orally but I'm afraid to go overboard with the antibiotics and it still not help. I don't want to complete destroy their immune systems...
I've heard of Baytril, but I'm confused as to why it's banned for poultry, and you would still use it? Is the ban not a concern then? Wouldn't I need a vet rx to buy it like most drugs these days?

I have no idea what they have, which is one of the reasons I posted here because I'm at a loss. They didn't stink when I smelled them before, the only symptom they have of anything is a sneeze and one of them has phlegm or fluid or something in her chest. I can hear it when she breathes, but not all the time. Otherwise they look and act totally normal, are eating and drinking without issue, are active and alert and bright.
I was told in a few Facebook groups that it is probably viral and it will run its course, to give them ACV and vitamins and probiotics in their water, etc. And VetRx.
I don't know what the right answer is and I'm stressed beyond measure. I just want them to be well.

Welcome to BYC! sorry your birds are sick.:hugs Is a vet an option? If not, you might want to contact this place about testing some of your birds.
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

When you gave the Tylan 50, did you give enough of it? The *minimum* effective dose is 0.2 ml per pound of bodyweight every 6-8 hours. If you didn't give that, you could try giving it again using the higher dose. Since Tylan can cause severe injection site reactions, I would give it orally.

Another drug you could try is Baytril, which is what I would use, but it's banned for use in poultry, so that is something to consider. Read about the ban here:
FDA bans enrofloxacin use in poultry

Without knowing what illness your hens have it's hard to know how to treat them. If they have mycoplasma, you can use Tylan or Denagard, but if they have E. Coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, or Coryza, you will need something else.

Edited to add
Baytril sources
Denagard

The vet is definitely an option, I'll do what it takes to care for my babies but would it be worth packing up four chickens to take and get that big fat vet bill for them to just tell me it's viral and it'll run its course? That's my concern.
If it's not viral then you will need antibiotics. Call the vets in your area and find out what they would charge to see the four chickens. One by me charges $70 to see 3-4 birds, plus tests.
That's my concern. I did 1cc each chicken, once a day for 5 days, which is what I was told to do.
That is not enough. In poultry, Tylan works best when given several times a day.
I could try giving it orally but I'm afraid to go overboard with the antibiotics and it still not help.
Tylan is not very powerful, so I don't think you need to worry.
I've heard of Baytril, but I'm confused as to why it's banned for poultry,
"Both Baytril and Cipro are members of the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics. FDA has shown that use of Baytril in poultry reduces the effectiveness of Cipro in treating Campylobacter, one of the most common causes of severe bacterial food poisoning."
http://www.cbgnetwork.org/1114.html
and you would still use it?
Yes, and I eat eggs from birds that have been treated with it, though I usually wait at least two weeks before I do.
Is the ban not a concern then?
Not to me.
Wouldn't I need a vet rx to buy it like most drugs these days?
No prescription needed when you buy from a game bird or pigeon website (links in my last post).
I have no idea what they have, which is one of the reasons I posted here because I'm at a loss. They didn't stink when I smelled them before, the only symptom they have of anything is a sneeze and one of them has phlegm or fluid or something in her chest. I can hear it when she breathes, but not all the time.
I would not treat any that are just sneezing, but I would treat the one with the phlegm.

Since you had a sick one last month maybe you should contact:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm and get at least one of them tested.

If it's not viral then you will need antibiotics. Call the vets in your area and find out what they would charge to see the four chickens. One by me charges $70 to see 3-4 birds, plus tests.
That is not enough. In poultry, Tylan works best when given several times a day.

Tylan is not very powerful, so I don't think you need to worry.

"Both Baytril and Cipro are members of the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics. FDA has shown that use of Baytril in poultry reduces the effectiveness of Cipro in treating Campylobacter, one of the most common causes of severe bacterial food poisoning."
http://www.cbgnetwork.org/1114.html

Yes, and I eat eggs from birds that have been treated with it, though I usually wait at least two weeks before I do.

Not to me.

No prescription needed when you buy from a game bird or pigeon website (links in my last post).

I would not treat any that are just sneezing, but I would treat the one with the phlegm.

Since you had a sick one last month maybe you should contact:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm and get at least one of them tested.
Would you recommend returning the sneezing one to the flock then? Since a couple others are out there sneezing? She has been with the one with the cough....
Sorry for the million questions, I'm just trying to make sure I do all the right things.

The other sick one was rescued from a very bad environment/living conditions and was fully cured for three weeks before she was introduced to the flock for a few days (I ended up pulling her and her sister because they were bullying the others and they now have their own coop). I believe this sick one got her ailment from the State Fair she was recently at and started showing symptoms there. :(

I think I would keep the four separated until you get the sickest of them feeling better.
Alright, I'll have to do some moving around but I have a tractor big enough to hold the four of them. I'm calling a vet today, hoping I can get a house call scheduled. *fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom