Tripod Update: Pic Pg 21 May try intros today....

The only reason I would cull it is if it couldn't get to food and water to adequately nourish itself or if it was mercilessly being attacked my the others. Neither seems to be true. It is now standing much more steadily and not leaning to the side. The leg seems to stay tucked up against the body. It is a full leg that is attached at the base of the spine. So I think it may have minimal voluntary movement. Now that it is tucked against the body, the others seem to be leaving it alone. So, so far so good.

Quote:
Sorry....
If it happened to me I would be so totally amazed, astounded, flabberghasted, left in total wonder and awe at natures little mysteries.
I, personally, wouldn't be angry, mad or aggravated. (I get more angry when I get woke up and I'm not ready to be woken up
wink.png
)
But, Just shows different strokes for different folks.
Hope the cute little guy makes it anyway.
Take care!
Best of luck!
Angela

You've named it, it's staying!
As long as the leg is not interfering with normal motion and functions (blocking the vent, etc) and it's eating, drinking, and pooping ok, it should be all right.
Sometimes, though, there may be other problems internally. So keep an eye on the little guy for a while.

Do whatever you can to save little Tripod! He is just a special needs chick. I have a pet Cornish x and he needs special attention but it is totally worth it. Your baby looks so sweet. I hope he doesnt have internal problems. All sorts of people have exra fingers and toes and it isnt a big deal. Keep him. He rocks!

Quote:
Sorry....
If it happened to me I would be so totally amazed, astounded, flabberghasted, left in total wonder and awe at natures little mysteries.
I, personally, wouldn't be angry, mad or aggravated. (I get more angry when I get woke up and I'm not ready to be woken up
wink.png
)
But, Just shows different strokes for different folks.
Hope the cute little guy makes it anyway.
Take care!
Best of luck!
Angela

I wasn't angry that he was born with an extra leg. I was frusterated that some were so quick to laugh and poke fun at something that was causing me so much pain at the time. I was terrified that I was going to lose him, and snide remarks just impacted how horrible I was feeling.

At this point, I think he has a very good chance at life, and am thus in far better spirits.
wink.png

If it acts healthy and the leg doesn't put it at a disadvantage, it sure can be a pet, no problem if you have the time and space for it. I know some profs who have whole binders full of various types of birth defects.

I wouldn't be surprised if the age, the cold, or the parent stock all had a hand in the 3rd leg. Some little cell early in development just had to go off and make an extra leg instead of going with the rest.
tongue.png

I just went and had a look at Tripod, and it does really seem like he does have a little bit of ability to manipulate his extra limb...

He keeps it tucked very tightly to his side, and it is hardly noticeable now. The other chicks have hardly batted an eye. I so hope that he turns out to be a she!! I wanna keep it so bad, but we can't keep anymore roosters!

So everyone, PRAY FOR A GIRL!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I used to work on the labor and delivery floor of the hospital and every once and a while babies were born with extra pinky fingers. The doctor would just clip the extra pinky off and put a stitch in it. They didn't have any feeling in those pinky's, just like what you are describing the extra foot. I am wondering if a similar procedure would help this little chick out. Do you know any doctors or P.A.'s, that might help you out here? A nurse could also do it or you could take it to a vet if you wanted to invest the money.

Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom