Tripod Update: Pic Pg 21 May try intros today....

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Just had a chick hatch with three legs.
sad.png
Can it live, or do I have to cull it??? It is normal otherwise, and hatched out fine on its own.

Last edited:
Just born two minutes ago, so I haven't given it food yet. I will try to get a pic, but can't make promises because of the stupid hova windows...

ep.gif
really? Can you post a pic? Like linkhill said, if it is eating and drinking I wouldn't worry about it.
chicknthief, love your avatar.

Last edited:
I am working on getting pics onto photobucket now. It will be a few minutes because I need to crop and adjust the lighting on the pics to make this easier to see.

I am so upset about this. Still being up at four in the morning isn't helping the sentiment either. Mom doesn't think she can live, but if it's possible, she and I would love to know how. Has anyone else experienced this?

Carrie, thank you. That is my little Suedelette, Valentine. Ain't he handsome
wink.png

there is nothing you can do. Do you want to raise this one? You may not have a choice. I would let nature take it's course. I wouldn't want any chicks from it since it carries an abnormal trait, you understand? But if you want to keep it as a pet..............??

Oh Good Lord we would never breed from it. I mean, if it can live, and live a life of the same quality as a normal chick, then yes, we want to raise it. It doesn't seem to have any feeling in the "extra" limb, or at least she doesn't seem to be able to manipulate it.

I should add that these are eggs that we bought from Safeway. They are the Rock Island eggs that my mother has already started a thread about, though I thought that this deserved its own thread.

These eggs are probably several weeks old, and had been refrigerated. I don't think that the age caused this, but maybe the cold temps???

That is a bit funky, but maybe it will live, the third leg may not work, it may just hand there. If it can walk it may survive..

what breed of chicken do you think they are???

charlie

Last edited:
Hi,
That is AMAZING!
You could always contact ripleys believe it or not.
lau.gif

Or a circus, maybe they'd pay big for a 3 legged chicken.
ya.gif

Gosh I hope it lives, that would be so kewl to have it for a pet!!

Back
Top Bottom