1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trooper, the single hatchling

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BoereMeisie, Oct 1, 2013.

1. BoereMeisie

BoereMeisie Cape Town Farm Girl

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    I am starting this thread as a fun project to post daily pics of my newly hatched Rhode Island Red chick, Trooper. He/she was the only chick to hatch in my homemade incubator out of 22 eggs originally set. He also hatched late, after 23 days... Comments are very welcome - this is purely for fun [​IMG] My aim is to post a pic every day as Trooper grows, and later we can have a guess at "Roo or hen".

[​IMG]

This is Trooper fresh out of the egg on 30 September at 13:42 (South African time)

[​IMG]

About an hour after hatching

[​IMG]

Today at midday (South African time) One day old.

[​IMG]

Also today at midday. My attempt at amateur photography. Trooper would have none of it...[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Your little trooper is cute. He/she will become really attached to you as an only chicken and cry," peep, peep peep" when you leave the room I bet.

3. BoereMeisie

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    I dreaded that "Peep! Peep!", having experience with some orphan chicks I've raised. However, Trooper is surprisingly quiet. When I come to the brooder to spend some time with him (going to say "him" since it's annoying to have to type him/her or he/she all the time), he's happy to see me but when I put him back, he happily settles and nods off... My broody hen's eggs are due to hatch around 7/8 October, then I will steal one so he won't be lonely but for now he seems very content...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. BoereMeisie

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    Trooper on his "outing" today... (2 days old)
    [​IMG]

And browsing BYC...
    [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You and Trooper will become experts at the chicken photo shoot.

6. BoereMeisie

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    Lol that's true
    [​IMG]

7. Britannia

Britannia New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    So Sweet!

8. BoereMeisie

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    Thanks Britannia, and [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My first pet/house chicken was a RIR my mother purchased from a feed store. I kept the hen for 10 years until she finally succumbed to old age. She was an awesome pet. Your pictures remind me of her.

You'll have fun for sure!

10. BoereMeisie

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    I am having an issue with my internet connection and will continue posting pics soon... I am still taking them! (for some reason I can post text, but as soon as I try to upload a picture, I get an error message) [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by