Trooper, the single hatchling

BoereMeisie

Cape Town Farm Girl
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Atlantis, South Africa
I am starting this thread as a fun project to post daily pics of my newly hatched Rhode Island Red chick, Trooper. He/she was the only chick to hatch in my homemade incubator out of 22 eggs originally set. He also hatched late, after 23 days... Comments are very welcome - this is purely for fun
smile.png
My aim is to post a pic every day as Trooper grows, and later we can have a guess at "Roo or hen".

This is Trooper fresh out of the egg on 30 September at 13:42 (South African time)

About an hour after hatching

Today at midday (South African time) One day old.

Also today at midday. My attempt at amateur photography. Trooper would have none of it...
rant.gif

Last edited:
I dreaded that "Peep! Peep!", having experience with some orphan chicks I've raised. However, Trooper is surprisingly quiet. When I come to the brooder to spend some time with him (going to say "him" since it's annoying to have to type him/her or he/she all the time), he's happy to see me but when I put him back, he happily settles and nods off... My broody hen's eggs are due to hatch around 7/8 October, then I will steal one so he won't be lonely but for now he seems very content...

Last edited:
My first pet/house chicken was a RIR my mother purchased from a feed store. I kept the hen for 10 years until she finally succumbed to old age. She was an awesome pet. Your pictures remind me of her.

You'll have fun for sure!

I am having an issue with my internet connection and will continue posting pics soon... I am still taking them! (for some reason I can post text, but as soon as I try to upload a picture, I get an error message)
rant.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom