Trouble cleaning pasty butt right next to the vent (terrified chick that won't stay still)

-Bella Cataline-

Chirping
Jun 17, 2021
East Tennessee
I have have a single chick with pasty butt. And she's terrified of me. She was older than the other chicks when she arrived, and was the only one that didn't get used to me. So when I try to hold her she panic calls the whole time and constantly fights to get away. (They are around five days old)
I cleaned her up once, and got most of it off, but there was some under her vent that she really squealed when I touched. I figured it was sensitive because of how long I had been working on her, so I left her alone and let her warm up. That was the day before yesterday.
Today I noticed she had it again, so I cleaned her. I noticed that stuff was still there, but darker now and closer to the vent. I tried to get it off again but she squealed like it hurt again, and it was getting dark so I called it quits again. I don't know if leaving it on there will give her an infection, or build up while she sleeps. It's only a little bit but it looks a bit odd.
Any advice would be so appreciated this is my first time raising chicks.

Last edited:
I like to get the water in the sink just right and let that just gently rinse over the chick's derriere. That way I know I'm not pulling on anything I shouldn't, and eventually whatever comes off is nice and soft, so it comes off easier. Be patient and work super super gently.

Then I hold her in a towel close to my chest and make sure she's not too wet, before letting her dry off and fluff up completely under the brooder.

I like to get the water in the sink just right and let that just gently rinse over the chick's derriere. That way I know I'm not pulling on anything I shouldn't, and eventually whatever comes off is nice and soft, so it comes off easier. Be patient and work super super gently.

Then I hold her in a towel close to my chest and make sure she's not too wet, before letting her dry off and fluff up completely under the brooder.
I'm not sure I could hold her for that long, she panics. Do they calm down under the warm water or do you just have to hold them firmly?

Warm water. Don't be afraid to use your finger tips and not the cloth. Also if its really stuck on and more cement poop bring to sink run warm water in a slow small stream and put just the pooped vent under stream for a few seconds. Work the poop free a little at a time. Repeat as necessary to get it all. Have microfiber cloth on hand as they dry the chick faster.

I'm currently working with almost 50 chicks in a two tier brood tower. I just got them in on Friday. I added 8 bantams from TSC. Two of which had poop butt. I have I think 5 of the 39 that came in the mail with the poop issues. Takes time and I'll be checking and cleaning them every morning and evening.

Also don't be afraid to hold firmly but lightly. I get their feet tucked in my hand and their head sticking out my pinky side of my closed hand. Seams to calm them more.

If the water is cold they will scream and squirm. If the poop you are trying to get loos is pulling on the down they will do the same. If you are pulling to much on poop down it needs more water.

Back
Top Bottom