Troubleshooting fermented feed

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I just started my first batch of fermented feed a couple days ago. I used this article- Article 'Fermenting Chicken Feed: A Straightforward Method'
My process-
I used Scratch and Peck feeds for the ferment. I covered the feed in 2" of water, placed the lid on top (didn't seal) and let it sit for the first day. The second day the feed seemed to have absorbed all the water, so I transferred it to a different bucket so I didn't overflow the small one, added more water, and let it sit. Since then, I've been stirring it daily and keeping the water at about 2" above the feed. The process seemed pretty straight forward, but now I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.
Its been 5 days since I started, and I'm not getting the "fruity" smell I was expecting, or seeing the bubbles the article stated I should notice once it ferments. It smells like Scratch and Peck thats been soaking in water. Not a moldy smell or a bad smell, just a wet feed smell I guess? I'm not seeing anything concerning, but I'm concerned as to why it hasn't made any improvement or changes in the last few days. Did I ruin it by switching the bucket?
When I stir it, the "fines" in the Scratch and Peck seem to have formed an almost doughy looking bob around the grains. It separates and I'm assuming thats normal since its absorbing so much moisture? I'm not sure. I can get photos tomorrow if necessary. Just a newbie to FF here wanting to do it right. :p
I'm also keeping it in a room thats about 40-50 degrees, encase that matters. Thanks for any insight or tips, I appreciate it.

Feed ferments a lot slower in cold weather than hot weather. Sometimes if it's cold enough it won't ferment at all. That could be your issue. Soaked feed is still better than dry feed though!
I ferment grains not premixes, whenever I've tried premixes I end up with goopy sludge that I can't strain enough. However premixes do still ferment just fine.
It sounds like a too cold issue you're having.
I scoop my fermented grain up with a strainer and mix it with pullet grower crumble as the daily feed ration. The crumble soaks up the extra moisture so the feed ends up the perfect consistency.
In summer my feed ferments in less than 8 hours, in winter it could be 3 days, or not at all and I just rock with soaked!

Feed ferments a lot slower in cold weather than hot weather. Sometimes if it's cold enough it won't ferment at all. That could be your issue. Soaked feed is still better than dry feed though!
I ferment grains not premixes, whenever I've tried premixes I end up with goopy sludge that I can't strain enough. However premixes do still ferment just fine.
It sounds like a too cold issue you're having.
I scoop my fermented grain up with a strainer and mix it with pullet grower crumble as the daily feed ration. The crumble soaks up the extra moisture so the feed ends up the perfect consistency.
In summer my feed ferments in less than 8 hours, in winter it could be 3 days, or not at all and I just rock with soaked!
Got it, okay that makes sense. I guess I'll just have to settle for soaked feed for now. :)
Thanks for the help!

Too cold - I think ideal temp range is 60-70s for fermentation to begin. If you mix it up in the morning, you should start to see changes by the end of the day, where it swells up a bit, and the liquid separates. You should see your first bubbles when you stir it all back together. I prefer to leave mine uncovered on the first day, so that it has exposure to the air.

As an experiment, I always suggest doing a small batch in a tall glass jar (no lid); that way, you can really see the bubbling activity that builds up, especially on days 2 & 3. I don't have a mass spectrometer in my pocket, but I've always assumed that more activity means more probiotics & other general good stuff!

Too cold - I think ideal temp range is 60-70s for fermentation to begin. If you mix it up in the morning, you should start to see changes by the end of the day, where it swells up a bit, and the liquid separates. You should see your first bubbles when you stir it all back together. I prefer to leave mine uncovered on the first day, so that it has exposure to the air.

As an experiment, I always suggest doing a small batch in a tall glass jar (no lid); that way, you can really see the bubbling activity that builds up, especially on days 2 & 3. I don't have a mass spectrometer in my pocket, but I've always assumed that more activity means more probiotics & other general good stuff!
Okay, that makes sense. Got it.
I'll have to try that next time. Maybe I'll do a batch in the house with a car since it'll be much warmer.
Cool! Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it.

I do my fermented feed inside the house, so it helps regulate the temperatures a lot better (obviously not practical if you have a large flock and/or small house!) Even so, I don't see any sort of bubbling during the cooler months, I don't keep the house hot enough for that to happen.

I also ferment lazily... you definitely don't want to wait 5 days to start serving, and honestly it's not really necessary to keep water over the top of it either (makes it soupy which some chickens don't like, and means you need to drain excess water, which is an extra step and can remove some of the vitamins you want to keep in the feed). What you describe by the 2nd day was what I aim for (all water absorbed), and I'd start feeding it just like that.

Since you already made a batch you can try serving some to your flock and see how they take to it, and adjust the consistency/thickness from there.

I do my fermented feed inside the house, so it helps regulate the temperatures a lot better (obviously not practical if you have a large flock and/or small house!) Even so, I don't see any sort of bubbling during the cooler months, I don't keep the house hot enough for that to happen.

I also ferment lazily... you definitely don't want to wait 5 days to start serving, and honestly it's not really necessary to keep water over the top of it either (makes it soupy which some chickens don't like, and means you need to drain excess water, which is an extra step and can remove some of the vitamins you want to keep in the feed). What you describe by the 2nd day was what I aim for (all water absorbed), and I'd start feeding it just like that.

Since you already made a batch you can try serving some to your flock and see how they take to it, and adjust the consistency/thickness from there.
Awesome, thank you! I did consider putting it inside, but my dogs have an odd likely for chicken feed :)confused:) and I was concerned about Klam Yeast smell. Did I spell that right?:p
I'll probably just soak it until it warms up, though I might be able to turn the thermostat on in the storage room and put it in there. I'll look into it.
Thanks for the texture recommendations! When I soak feed I usually like it when the moisture is fully absorbed. I usually do that a few minuets before feeding Doodle with crumbles.
I appreciate all the advice! Thanks everyone.

Awesome, thank you! I did consider putting it inside, but my dogs have an odd likely for chicken feed :)confused:) and I was concerned about Klam Yeast smell. Did I spell that right?:p
I'll probably just soak it until it warms up, though I might be able to turn the thermostat on in the storage room and put it in there. I'll look into it.
Thanks for the texture recommendations! When I soak feed I usually like it when the moisture is fully absorbed. I usually do that a few minuets before feeding Doodle with crumbles.
I appreciate all the advice! Thanks everyone.
I put my fermented feed jar up on a counter so the dogs haven't messed with it (then again, I don't think mine are interested in it... they'd rather have chicken poop).

For my flock they definitely prefer the consistency to be very thick, like overly thick oatmeal - you should be able to stand a spoon in it! Anything runny, they just give up once most of the grains are gone and complain at me.😅 So I'm always adjusting the amount of water I add as the seasons come and go, as the amount of water you'd when it's colder is a lot less than when it's hotter.

I went numb to the smell a while ago since I have it going 24/7 next to my dining room haha. I remember it having a funky odor, though nowadays I mostly only smell a vague grain scent.

I put my fermented feed jar up on a counter so the dogs haven't messed with it (then again, I don't think mine are interested in it... they'd rather have chicken poop).

For my flock they definitely prefer the consistency to be very thick, like overly thick oatmeal - you should be able to stand a spoon in it! Anything runny, they just give up once most of the grains are gone and complain at me.😅 So I'm always adjusting the amount of water I add as the seasons come and go, as the amount of water you'd when it's colder is a lot less than when it's hotter.

I went numb to the smell a while ago since I have it going 24/7 next to my dining room haha. I remember it having a funky odor, though nowadays I mostly only smell a vague grain scent.
Cool! This is such good info!
That totally sounds like something my flock would do. They've got us trained haha! Funny!
Got it, I'll definitely have to figure out what works best for my climate.

I feel the same way. I think I'd be fine with the smell after a while, I usually don't mind chicken smells to much. I think mu family would have a strong opinion on it though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom