Trying to catch my first, almost full grown rooster.. Suggestions?

MeatKing

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Near Ottawa Ontario Canada
This is probley gonna sound a little odd, I have never caught a roo. I've only picked up a hen maybe 20 times. Very new to the chicken world.... There all around 19 weeks, 2 roo's are leaving. Now I've read on other posts, about the roo spuring you ect. What should I watch for/try to aim to do?
No you may not video tape the "town girl" trying to catch her first rooster.
lau.gif

Thank-you

I use a reallly big fishing net in one hand and a large stick in the other and try to corner them as best I can. If you don't have a net, just round him into an area where he can be cornered, and have a box or a tote handy. That way you can easily shoo him into it and pop the lid on. Hope you catch him.....although it's aggravating, it's also a funny sight watching someone catch a chicken
big_smile.png

The easiest way is to wait until they have roosted for the night, and just pick him up. Then put him into a cage or small pen.

At 19 weeks, he shouldn't have any spurs, so that won't be a concern.

Jean

ok, good no spurs
smile.png
So he can't really hurt me right? I will wear long sleves, jeans, gloves ect. I can't do it to them tonight. I will be dropping them to a friends house tomorow night. So I don't want them in that little box, for to long. After that their going in chicken crates for the night. So I think it will be too confining for too long. I will have to take them in the afternoon. I will get the fishing net ready, just in case... And remeber to bring the box in the pen with me lol So really they can't hurt me with no spurs right, there not gonna bite threw my glove or anything crazy..
Thank-you everyone!

The easiest way I've found to catch ANY of my birds that don't want to be caught, is to pretend you are NOT going after them...lol I will go in the coop, stand for a minute and then watch the bird that needs to be caught from the corner of my eye and as I am heading toward them, act like I'm trying to get another one... for some reason they buy it and I can normally scoop em right up.

Mine haven't bit, tho they can scratch with their feet when trying to get away. Oh and if you don't clasp their wings to their body, plan on feathers in the face.
lol.png

i've had to give 3 of my roos away during the day..5 monthes old and very hormonal!!!... i used a big bright purple towel, which i just threw over them once i cornered them and grabbed them..(1 at a time of course)..they were too busy trying to mate with the towel to notice they were being captured!!!!! once i had them they settled down and i had no problems.

The above poster has it right: fake 'em out!

And DO watch for those wings - it can be more than feathers in your face and wing-bones smacked against a lip can raise a good puffy lip for the amusement of others, later.

Grab up by the shoulders to tuck the wings under your arm right away.

You might get pecked, but that's just self-protection, not nastiness. Not much fun being captured if you're not used to it.

I got my leg scratched up and bruised good last night when i grabbed my rooster off the roost to move him into the garage for "processing" in the morning. I had to climb into the chicken tractor to grab him because he knew I was after him and roosted out of reach of the lid opening on top. Since I was kneeling down he clawed me good when i held him to my body. I was wearing thin knit sweatpants.
This was the biggest rooster we have ever raised. He was an 18 week old Rhode Island Red, and boy was he strong.

I agree on the fishing net. I have one in the chicken yard. Cornering them and scooping them in it works though I had one hurt his leg by getting tangled.

I make sure my roos are wary of me, so I can't catch them the same way I would the hens. But if your roos aren't too afraid of you, you can try sprinkling some treat (I use scratch) on the ground and call them. Like the other poster said, I pretend I'm NOT after them. Get directly behind them. With the heads down eating, it's very easy to quickly scoop them up by grabbing them on the shoulders (also as already posted) keeping those wings pinned to their side. Not only can a flapping chicken get lucky and slap you wrong and actually hurt you a little -- they are also harder to hold onto and it's a lot easier for them to escape. Especially if you are trying not to hurt them.

Good luck catching the boys. Too bad you can't get them at night.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom