Trying to determine Breed

FLSpringChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
NW Florida
I am trying to figure out what these are. My father in law had these birds a few years ago but lost contact with the guy he got them from. We'd like to get more of them but don't know what we are looking for. We call them game birds because they are more sleek and thin than most chickens. They fly really well too. The hens are usually white with reddish coloring or occassionally black. I cannot find any good close up rooster pictures from back then - they look somewhere along the lines of Americana or Cubalaya. We still have 4 descendents (2 hens, 2 roosters) that I will try to get better pictures of this weekend and post up. Thanks! A few notes included on pictures below.

The two white mother hens in the middle. All babies are a mix of them and the red (Orpington?)

The two mothers again on the right side (and a black one behind them) On the left is a unknown breed rooster and behind all of them in the center is another of the unknown breed rooster. I am not sure if the roosters and hens are the same breed. They just came out of the same clutch - which also had two barred rocks in it so... who knows.

Last edited:
I agree some type of game bird---there are tons of different varieties, though, so it can be hard for the uneducated to pin down. Try looking up old english game and see if that's what you want.

I agree some type of game bird---there are tons of different varieties, though, so it can be hard for the uneducated to pin down. Try looking up old english game and see if that's what you want.

x2

I'm thinking they look more modern than Old English...but that could be simply being not pure any more as they aren't exactly modern game. I agree definitely game of some type.

Black hen top photo looks like a Black Sumatra.

Lady of McCamley

Thanks everybody. I'll check those out and see if they look right.

Lady of McCamley - I always thought the black one was the same breed, just a different color. She had the same sleek body as the white ones, so it never really occurred to me that she'd be a different breed. I'll check out Black Sumatra. Thanks!

One big negative of the roosters is they are very scrappy. Some of them really like to fight to the death. Having that problem now trying to get a second rooster accepted into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom