Trying to get a feel for what to expect - first timer

It takes alkines

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2018
Hi! I was wondering if I gave a run down of my flock someone can "coach me" on what to expect RE egg laying.

My oldest hen is a 7 or 8 month buff orpington who started laying a month ago. She was doing an egg a day and then suddenly stopped this past week. She looks healthy, not molting, and I thought she was broody b/c she was still on the nest on her egg when I came home from work one day. She was there again the next day. Each time I just took her off the nest and after those two days she seemed to be back to her normal self. Then she laid two more eggs and then that was it. So, I'm assuming she's young so getting eggs will be inconsistent? I've heard of orpingtons being a broody breed, but that seemed like a really short "broody" period from what I've read. I was expecting a few weeks! (but i'm not complaining)

Then I have a few 6 month old welsummers. I heard one doing that egg song and have been looking for eggs. Nothing. I know hens have been sitting in the nesting boxes b/c I fluff up the hay every day to see. There are chicken-butt imprints every day. They don't sleep there. Everyone is on their roost every night and still there early morning when I go to feed them for the day. I read somewhere that this breed starts laying later than most. Anyone else have that experience?

Finally, there are my 5 month old buff opringtons, that I'm assuming are approaching egg laying age.

So, I keep getting asked by my husband and others when we are going to get eggs, especially since we just had a good month of an egg a day! I'm assuming I've got to wait a bit more for any consistent egg collecting. My husband calls them all freeloaders. haha. Any advice on a ball-park time when I'll be rolling in eggs? Maybe another two months or so?

Thanks for any guidance. We are impatient. And I'm out of fresh-laid eggs and don't want to buy more at the grocery store. :(

With the exception of the first BO who may be in the process of going broody, your others are on the borderline of point of lay and that depends both on individual hormones and the length of daylight.

Be patient. You will have eggs coming out of those nests very soon.

With the exception of the first BO who may be in the process of going broody, your others are on the borderline of point of lay and that depends both on individual hormones and the length of daylight.

Be patient. You will have eggs coming out of those nests very soon.

That's what I figured. I keep getting asked when I'm going to get more eggs. I'm like "I'm pretty sure soon, but they are all still too young!" I think my older BO starting so strong everyone was all excited (me included). I'm guessing once spring really gets going things will start up.

Thanks!

It would be at cross purposes for a hen to lay eggs and incubate eggs all at the same time. Therefor when a hen starts setting she stops laying. You must decide whether you want chicks or eggs. If you decide on eggs then you will need to break your hen from setting. You can lose 3 or 4 months of egg production each and every time a hen takes to her nest.

It would be at cross purposes for a hen to lay eggs and incubate eggs all at the same time. Therefor when a hen starts setting she stops laying. You must decide whether you want chicks or eggs. If you decide on eggs then you will need to break your hen from setting. You can lose 3 or 4 months of egg production each and every time a hen takes to her nest.

Got it. So she's not sitting on the nest now (I've removed all eggs, even the fake ones). Does this mean it'll be another 3-4 months before I can expect her to lay again, or does that time include her incubating eggs? In other words, since she's no longer trying to hatch some eggs, should I expect her to return to producing eggs in a few weeks or so? Or will that take a few months?

Got it. So she's not sitting on the nest now (I've removed all eggs, even the fake ones). Does this mean it'll be another 3-4 months before I can expect her to lay again, or does that time include her incubating eggs? In other words, since she's no longer trying to hatch some eggs, should I expect her to return to producing eggs in a few weeks or so? Or will that take a few months?

After breaking a broody you can expect eggs anywhere from a few days to several weeks, it all depends on the individual bird. My buff stops laying for about 2 weeks after breaking.

Then I have a few 6 month old welsummers. I heard one doing that egg song and have been looking for eggs. Nothing.

Ha, my Welsummer always fakes me out. Loves to sing an egg song and then when I run out to look for eggs, she just looks at me like I'm crazy.

you will soon be looking up egg recipes on the net and/or leaving them at neighbors doors, ringing the bell and running away.....:lau

Back
Top Bottom