Trying to get ready for a field trip, please help.

graciegoat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
My 9 chicks turned 2 weeks old today. I would like to start taking them on "field trips" outside soon.
They are in a brooder in my sun room with lots of pine shavings on the bottom. So far they are only eating chick crumble and one hard boiled egg yolk per day (amongst all of them).
If they go outside I'm sure they will eat other stuff, so I'm guessing they need grit, right? If so, how should it be given? At about 3 days I put a small bowl in there and very shortly after one of my chicks died. I was thinking maybe he ate too much grit?
If I just throw a hand full into the shavings will they actually get much? (Enough?)
Do they need to be eating it for awhile before I take them out?

We are having so much fun with these little peeps, but there is a lot too learn!
yippiechickie.gif

I don't think you could overfeed grit easily. Maybe you could, but I don't think so. These fatalities just happen. I am sorry that it had to happen to you. They will get little rocks and stuff outside. I wouldn't worry about grit too much. :) If you want to you could give them some now, if it would make you feel better.

Here's my two cents - but I'm new to this. I never gave grits to my chicks until yesterday and they are 3 MONTHS old. They moved outside at 5 weeks and eating kitchen scraps at 4 weeks. I think (and this is only a guess) that if they are outside scavenging bits of grass (which they will LOVE), they will also get bits of dirt and grit naturally. I mean, if they were being raised by a hen on some farm 100 years ago, they would be all over the barn yard eating stuff naturally. Farmers back then didn't go out and by grit.

My hens are now 3 months old and just yesterday I put grit in the coop because I started getting nervous after reading posts that said THEY MUST HAVE GRIT! Like I said before - I have been giving them grass after my hubby mows and lots of kitchen scraps and no grit and we have had no problems. I think because they naturally seek it out from the dirt and sand in their coop.

I think your chicks would love to be outside (in a safe spot). I think they can pick up grit from the soil. Just watch them closely so no cats/birds etc. can get their paws/claws on them.

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH MORE EXPERIENCE - if you disagree with me, please speak up. Like I said, I am new to this. I have four healthy happy hens (3 months old) and they were just introduced to grit yesterday.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Most crumble or pellet feed has some grit in the mix.

I free range my flock and I have never worried about it. Start them out at about an hour or so and go from there.
woot.gif

Here's my two cents - but I'm new to this. I never gave grits to my chicks until yesterday and they are 3 MONTHS old. They moved outside at 5 weeks and eating kitchen scraps at 4 weeks. I think (and this is only a guess) that if they are outside scavenging bits of grass (which they will LOVE), they will also get bits of dirt and grit naturally. I mean, if they were being raised by a hen on some farm 100 years ago, they would be all over the barn yard eating stuff naturally. Farmers back then didn't go out and by grit.

My hens are now 3 months old and just yesterday I put grit in the coop because I started getting nervous after reading posts that said THEY MUST HAVE GRIT! Like I said before - I have been giving them grass after my hubby mows and lots of kitchen scraps and no grit and we have had no problems. I think because they naturally seek it out from the dirt and sand in their coop.

I think your chicks would love to be outside (in a safe spot). I think they can pick up grit from the soil. Just watch them closely so no cats/birds etc. can get their paws/claws on them.

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH MORE EXPERIENCE - if you disagree with me, please speak up. Like I said, I am new to this. I have four healthy happy hens (3 months old) and they were just introduced to grit yesterday.

Good luck and enjoy!!!
Just a tip, don't give them grass after your husband mows. Chickens naturally bite small pieces of grass while foraging, and pieces that are too long can cause an impacted crop. You can do further research if you'd like, but I don't recommend giving them grass clippings.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I can't wait to the girls outside!!

I tried buying grit for my chicks but the people at the feed store said they will get all they need from the ground if they are allowed outside to scratch and peck.
When I first took my littles out, I used the wire top of the 2 part rabbit cage I use as a brooder to keep them safe and contained. I could move it around so they always had shade.
Good luck and have fun watching them have dust baths and explore!

I tried buying grit for my chicks but the people at the feed store said they will get all they need from the ground if they are allowed outside to scratch and peck.
When I first took my littles out, I used the wire top of the 2 part rabbit cage I use as a brooder to keep them safe and contained. I could move it around so they always had shade.
Good luck and have fun watching them have dust baths and explore!

exactly, they will find what they need on the ground.....! Let the games begin!

Back
Top Bottom