Trying to help out a hatching chick that was ready! PLEASE PLEASE HELP! HELP!

EilighsFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
HI! Today my second chick pipped a hole in the shell. Its been a couple hours. I got worried it was strink wrapped because the membrane is white white. I got out a wet wash cloth and a butter knife and, chipped away at the sheel. Some of the membrane opened up and i could see the chick. THERE LOOKED LIKE THERE WAS WATERY CLEAR STUFF SURROUNDING THE CHICK. LIKE FROM THE YOLK! I don't think it soaked up all the yoke yet. I could see it breathing and quickly dabbed some water around the hole with a paint brush and put it back in the incubator. Im so scared. What will happen? Is there a chance of it surviving? I put the egg shell piece and set it on the hole to close the hole up a bit. It can still get air. I know is shouldn't have done this and, i feel so bad. HELP WANTED! PLEASE REPLY ASAP! IM SHAKING! THANKS!

I guess you found out the hard way leave nature alone to do her thing. Takes a lot lot longer than a couple of hours for a chick to hatch. 24 hrs is quite normal as they need to rest and absorb the yolk.

If you go to the learning centre there is a very good article on assisted hatching. It mentions how to replace the shell and covering I think with something damp. Go and do a search and hopefully all turn out ok.

I guess you found out the hard way leave nature alone to do her thing. Takes a lot lot longer than a couple of hours for a chick to hatch. 24 hrs is quite normal as they need to rest and absorb the yolk.

If you go to the learning centre there is a very good article on assisted hatching. It mentions how to replace the shell and covering I think with something damp. Go and do a search and hopefully all turn out ok.
Ok thanks! Its been about 2-3 hours and the chick is still alive and breathing so maybe if i can get a piece of the shell from a chick that already hatched and place it on the one that wasn't read it may have a chance!

Here is an article on assisted hatching https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

It a good read very informative. Letting nature take its course really is the best option for chicks as apps said. It's their first real test of how strong they are going to be, a good strong healthy chick should have no problems hatching on its own with no assistance. Helping should only be done as a very last resort.

I hope your chicks makes it :fl

Here is an article on assisted hatching https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

It a good read very informative. Letting nature take its course really is the best option for chicks as apps said. It's their first real test of how strong they are going to be, a good strong healthy chick should have no problems hatching on its own with no assistance. Helping should only be done as a very last resort.

I hope your chicks makes it
fl.gif

Thankyou, next time i will let mother nature do its thing. The chick didnt survive. It was sad. I have a couple other eggs in the incubator that are on day 22. On day 21 they were wiggling. Its now day 22 and they are not moving. Did they die when i was trying to help the one that passed? Is this normal? Sorry to ask just you this but, I was wondering what your opinion is on this. Thanks anyway!

Sorry to hear you lost your chick :hugs Incubating and hatching can be a very steep learning curve. Don't beat yourself up about it though we have made mistakes its how we all learn. I've made my own fair few too. I would give your other eggs longer to see if they hatch. 21 days is just a guideline nothing is set in stone. They could just be resting Inbetween the hatching stages. It's very hard work for them to hatch so they need to rest quite a lot. If nothing has happened by the end of day 23 I woukd candle and tap them to see if you can hear any peeping or see any movement within the egg.

It is also possible that with opening the incubator to help the first chick and with the humidity dropping it could have shrink wrapped the chicks in the shells and they have not been able to hatch. People have varied views on this but I'm one of those who does not open the incubator at all after lockdown no matter what is going off in there. It's closed on day 18 and not opened again untill the end of hatch. What hatches hatches and I will only consider assisting if nearly all the eggs are hatched and there are only stragglers left that may need help. I totally trust my incubator and always try to let nature take its course.

Sorry to hear you lost your chick
hugs.gif
Incubating and hatching can be a very steep learning curve. Don't beat yourself up about it though we have made mistakes its how we all learn. I've made my own fair few too. I would give your other eggs longer to see if they hatch. 21 days is just a guideline nothing is set in stone. They could just be resting Inbetween the hatching stages. It's very hard work for them to hatch so they need to rest quite a lot. If nothing has happened by the end of day 23 I woukd candle and tap them to see if you can hear any peeping or see any movement within the egg.

It is also possible that with opening the incubator to help the first chick and with the humidity dropping it could have shrink wrapped the chicks in the shells and they have not been able to hatch. People have varied views on this but I'm one of those who does not open the incubator at all after lockdown no matter what is going off in there. It's closed on day 18 and not opened again untill the end of hatch. What hatches hatches and I will only consider assisting if nearly all the eggs are hatched and there are only stragglers left that may need help. I totally trust my incubator and always try to let nature take its course.
I agree with this. All of it. The only thing I have done differently is to open the incubator once a day to take out the dried, fluffy chicks. In the future, I may rethink that. The past couple of years I've had broodies so I haven't incubated.

Incubating is an ongoing learning process. I am also a "let nature take its course" person.

Sorry to hear you lost your chick
hugs.gif
Incubating and hatching can be a very steep learning curve. Don't beat yourself up about it though we have made mistakes its how we all learn. I've made my own fair few too. I would give your other eggs longer to see if they hatch. 21 days is just a guideline nothing is set in stone. They could just be resting Inbetween the hatching stages. It's very hard work for them to hatch so they need to rest quite a lot. If nothing has happened by the end of day 23 I woukd candle and tap them to see if you can hear any peeping or see any movement within the egg.

Thankyou! Made me feel better. Its day 23. I cancelled them yesterday so I'm not going to mess with them today. In 2 of the eggs it looks like they might have pipped. Maybe its just my imagination! Im going into lockdown tomorrow with another batch of eggs. That batch IM LEAVING ALONE. Ill update on that. Thanks for the kind words!

I agree with this. All of it. The only thing I have done differently is to open the incubator once a day to take out the dried, fluffy chicks. In the future, I may rethink that. The past couple of years I've had broodies so I haven't incubated.

Incubating is an ongoing learning process. I am also a "let nature take its course" person.

I completely agree with Yorkshire Coop and you! Not messing with the eggs anymore. Thats for sure. Trying to calm myself and let nature take its course.

Back
Top Bottom