Trying to judge air cell development on eggs with detatched membranes

chickboss

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
I have Call duck eggs that are developing with membranes that were partially detatched, which makes the shape of the air cell odd. We are on day 19. I am wondering if anyone has experience with figuring out how to detirmine if the air cells are developing properly in a situation like this. I wish I could post pics, but I can't figure out how properly set my camera to take these kinds of pictures. I can try to draw and post diagrams later if it would be helpful. I have found very little information about eggs with detatched membranes that develope, because it seems usually they won't or quit early on. The only little blurb I found, was on someone's blog, who said it could be beneficial to set the humidity higher because there could be microscopic tears that allow the moisture to escape at a faster rate. Any advice would be helpful. I am concerned they will have a harder time hatching as well. I am like so inexperienced....LOL.

Thanks!

To tell you the truth, I don't pay much attention to my air cells at all, but then I again I don't get shipped eggs, all my air cells are intact. I just keep the humidity and temp right and turn the eggs....thats pretty much it, and I get good hatches!

I can only tell you my experience with "detached air cells". Earlier this spring, I ordered 6 call duck eggs from one of the best lines in country. When I got them, the box was dented in as if it had been jarred. When I opened the box, the eggs were well packaged. However, when I candled the eggs they had detached air cells. I assume that when the box got jarred it damage the eggs. None of the eggs ever developed and, at the time, i attributed it to the air cells being detached. At any rate, I later decided to order another 6 call duck eggs from this same source. Once again, the air cells were detached. The box was in good shape and eggs were packaged well, but they were shipped all the way from Florida and I'm in Missouri. So maybe that is just a rough trip. Most of the eggs actually developed, but then a few quit. I'm actually down to two of those eggs... both with detached air cells. It's like there are two air cells merged together, kind of the shape of an 8. Like I said, those two are still developing. Whether they will make to hatch, I don't know. But I am incubating them the same as all my other call duck eggs. It seems to me that if the egg gets a significant jar, then the yolk and white apply pressure to the air cell and it forces air beyond the confines of the cell without actually puncturing it. Its really difficult to judge air cell size with them looking like that... i just use the normal eggs as gauge and hope for the best for these two with strange air cells.

I would not rely on air sack size at all. I had duck eggs with really large and small sacks at the same age and they all hatched just fine. What I prefer to do is use a stethoscope once they are 12 days old to check for a heart beat. That is more reliable to me then going by sack size. You can find cheap stethoscopes at the pharmacy or online. They usually cost less then 4 dollars and are worse the money.
Katharina

Scott~
Your fist batch of shipped eggs sounds like these. Duckluck did a great job, but the box was obviously tossed around a bit much. Some denting, ect. I was shocked that none of the eggs broke or had cracks. Out of 15 eggs, I have two for sures and one maybe. All with funky air cells. I don't have any normal eggs to compare with, so I look at the chart for normal air cell development, but like you said, with the off shape, it is really hard to tell. What day are you on with the two developing now? Have you had any feed back from your buyers concerning the air cells and their experience hatching?

1lpoock~
That's what I've been doing. Keeping humidity and temp where they need to be and praying.

Quote:
That is good to hear! Candling has worked great with the Butterscotch eggs, but the Blacks are extreemly hard to see. I'll see if I can pick up a stethoscope sometime today. Thanks!

Quote:
That particular batch was set on April 27th, so they are on day 22. I have another batch of 16 call eggs from a different line that are on day 23. To answer your other question, I've been very fortunate that in all the eggs I've shipped I've only had one mention that a single egg had a hairline crack. .Other than that, I've never had the bad buyer/seller experiences that I sometimes read about. Then again, I've got my packaging method down to a science.
cool.png
Never had anyone mention a detached air cell. In fact, most of the feedback that I get is to say how well they eggs are packaged or to let me know when they have birds that have hatched from the eggs. I guess I'm fortunate.

Quote:
How do you package your eggs?

I'm too lazy to post in detail right now. Give me a few and I'll find a previous post where I discuss how I ship.

Scott~
Sounds like you are just a few days ahead of me, do you mind keeping me posted on how they do? I guess, at this point, I am less worried about the ducklings themselves developing, but more about it adding to the chances of them having a difficult hatch. Do you think it matters?

Oh, and if you don't mind I will hyjack my own thread with a BCochin question. LOL. I have a Bantam Frizzle Cochin Roo, and a little Black Bantam Cochin roo who is still young. I am attached to both, but quite honestly am sick of building seperate coops for everyone. How many hens would I need to keep these guys in the same coop/yard? I've heard the Cochins are pretty mellow, but I don't want any fighting. Or stressed hens for that matter. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom