Trying to nip this in the bud.

Pics

Bigtom Turkey

Crowing
Nov 29, 2020
Indiana
So, some context as of about a week and a half ago we lost a goat kid to the cold:hit. So I used my thinker and thought it would be a good idea to place the dead kid on the outskirts of the property to keep the predators at bay *face palm*. So now I have a coyote problem; they are coming onto the property so far not killing but I am worried for my animals. I am looking for ideas how how to keep them away not kill (although I am not against it) but just try to keep a balence betwen my animals and the wild animals.

In case this info helps I have:
2 goats
3 rabbits
8 chickens
4 ducks
and gonna be 3 turkeys

Rather than spending time and money on a quest to trap a coyote, spend it instead by making a preditor proof coop and run.
This project is totaly doo-able and will have positive long lasting effect.
You and i and everyone else will always have preditor problems as long as we have chickens and other livestock.
as soon as you remove one preditor more will move in a occupy the new avaliable space.

How do you plan on trapping them, and what would you do with them if you catch one? You will need to keep your dogs and cats away from the traps to avoid injuring them. I would suggest looking into electric fencing. It't not too hard to run a few strands of wire around a pasture.

Also it will be out side the fence so the live-stock can't get injured.
If you’ve never trapped canines before learn to do it properly. You can’t just unset footholds every day. That’ll last 3 days before you’re annoyed. Plus messing with them that often will get them dug up quick due to way way too much scent. The traps need to be treated as well. You’d be far better off just shooting them unless you already know how to trap and have the proper equipment. If I were you I would use electric fencing and kill the coyotes. Animals don’t just move back in overnight that’s a myth but they will eventually.

Back
Top Bottom