Trying to nip this in the bud.

The idea is a good one however I have more of a open pasture with a big run-in for my animals. So, it is harder for me personally.
First, :welcome :frow It's pretty hard to trap a coyote. They mostly hunt alone but will at times hunt in small packs. About the only way to control them is to eliminate them or electric wires around the area where you keep your animals. I did eventually resort to electric wires around my coops and pens. My land is mostly open pasture but I did fence in an area and made pens. When your goats kid you can be sure the coyotes will be around. I have several game cameras on my property. Maybe this will help.
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/ Good luck...
I think this mother is training her young not to mess with the electric wires.
DSCF0014 01.jpg

I have tried several ways to trap a coyote including leg traps, snare, live trap. I have pictures of them walking around them but not close enough to get caught. A neighbor had some dens on his property and let some hunters go on his land. I did hear some shooting coming from the direction of his property around midnight. I'm assuming they got quite a few because in the past I would see a coyote on at least one of my cameras nightly and now rarely. Good luck...

A while back I read a National Geographic article concerning the wolf revival up in northern states. There was concern with the wolves harming livestock, but several ranchers reported success with regularly patrolling their pastures as deterring the wolves along with removing any dead livestock.

I'm not sure how much this would work with coyotes or how much land you have, but I figured I throw it in as an option. I'm not opposed to killing problem animals either, but would much rather deter as you'd stated if possible.

I know you said electric wires aren't an option for you but did you read this website I posted earlier. I'm sure you must have fenced in your pastures somewhat for your animals. It doesn't have to be an AC fence charger there are also DC and solar fence chargers. So far nothing has gotten past my hot wires. I have seen a couple of spots awhile back where something did attempt to dig under the fence but aborted the attempt once it got zapped. Granted the hot wires won't affect aerial predators but will deter ground predators. Maybe that's why I haven't seen many in quite awhile because they know it's a lost cause and can't get past the hot wires??? Most predators first examine things first with their noses. Again, good luck...

http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/

There is only one trap to deal with. And I am trying to leave a lot of human scent around but they keep coming, so if I leave enough scent to keep them away then that is fine by me. I am not catching them for them I am catching them so they don't kill my birds ;)
This is what an old time trapper told me some years ago. He was into trapping wild hogs. He is a smoker and flips his ashes and butts wherever. He was asked about hiding his scent, he replied that whatever he is trapping, his scent has never been an issue. They know he's been there but still go into the traps. I don't know if this is true but he caught a lot of hogs.

Thanks everybody for your responses:) I will start trapping, and will look into electric fencing. The reason I am oposed to electric fencing is that for 4 years we had a 6 wire electic fence rated for cows and horses. We used to sheep and goats, and not only did we loose many lambs/kids we also had problems keeping the sheep in

Back
Top Bottom