Trying to prepare a Poopology data base

R.M.Qureshi

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Lahore , Pakistan
Dear Members,

I am trying to compile a new updated page on poopology. You are requested to please spare some of your time and participate in collection of poop pics.
I have collected some pics and information from different websites and from different posts on BYC and other forums.

To have an overview of what i am trying to do please visit the link below

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A99F88838D34E678!250&authkey=!AAOQW5GvPFg0J30

Regards

Rehan M

Last edited:
Under the worms category you could add a picture of a poo with the little tapeworm segments dotting all over it. Some people think this is something that was laid on the poo, but the tapeworm segments come to the surface after the poo. You can see the things moving. Ick.

Under the worms category you could add a picture of a poo with the little tapeworm segments dotting all over it. Some people think this is something that was laid on the poo, but the tapeworm segments come to the surface after the poo. You can see the things moving. Ick.
Like these tapeworm segments?

While the occasional poop with intestinal lining might be normal, one probably has a problem when it's frequent. Some strains of coccidiosis and worms can produce these.

Blood in poop can also be due to coccidiosis, worms and blackhead, and maybe some bacterial, fungal or viral infections, but don't quote me on that.

I have a whole collection of blackhead poops that were confirmed by necropsy or that fact that the birds recovered after metronidazole treatment. I'll see if I can find thos for you.

Foamy poop is often the sign of a protozoa according to my avian vet.

-Kathy

RM,

On the duplicate thread, I was unable to reply to your post so I'll add it here. You wrote:

"Dear Guppy,

I always have few cases in every batch i hatch. I normally treat them with homeopathic medicine. E. acervulina and E.maxima cause chronic intestinal coccidiosis with no blood in droppings. Coccidia can also damage the immune system and leave poultry vulnerable to pathogens like Clostridium, Salmonella and E. coli. Bright greenish yellow poop is from E.coli in my experience and green is the bile juice from not eating. When medicine starts to act the color of the poop change to cheesy urates with excess of water.and thats whai i see in the pic."

I see what you're saying, however, the bright green/yellow poo was 3 days AFTER I had completed a 5 day treatment with Corid for cocci. So, if this poo was caused by some other pathogen (Clostridium, Salmonella and E. coli. or whatever), shouldn't it go in that section? In other words, this bright green/yellow poo is not caused by cocci and is not a symptom of cocci. It's something else. Maybe cocci reduced the immune system that allowed this additional pathogen to take hold, but it's not a symptom of cocci directly.

Said another way, if someone saw these picture in the cocci section of your publication and matched it to their own chicken's poo, they might say to themselves, "Aha, I have cocci. I'll treat for that." When in fact, treating for cocci isn't going to solve this problem. So, posting these pictures in the cocci section is mis-leading the reader to mis-diagnose it as cocci and treat it as such.

Thoughts? Just trying to help with the accuracy of your publication.

Thanks much,
Guppy

Thank you for your feedback. For the time being i am removing the pics but will keep a copy with me. I am doing more research and I will post them again when i will have more documentary evidence.

RM,

On the duplicate thread, I was unable to reply to your post so I'll add it here. You wrote:

"Dear Guppy,

I always have few cases in every batch i hatch. I normally treat them with homeopathic medicine. E. acervulina and E.maxima cause chronic intestinal coccidiosis with no blood in droppings. Coccidia can also damage the immune system and leave poultry vulnerable to pathogens like Clostridium, Salmonella and E. coli. Bright greenish yellow poop is from E.coli in my experience and green is the bile juice from not eating. When medicine starts to act the color of the poop change to cheesy urates with excess of water.and thats whai i see in the pic."

I see what you're saying, however, the bright green/yellow poo was 3 days AFTER I had completed a 5 day treatment with Corid for cocci. So, if this poo was caused by some other pathogen (Clostridium, Salmonella and E. coli. or whatever), shouldn't it go in that section? In other words, this bright green/yellow poo is not caused by cocci and is not a symptom of cocci. It's something else. Maybe cocci reduced the immune system that allowed this additional pathogen to take hold, but it's not a symptom of cocci directly.

Said another way, if someone saw these picture in the cocci section of your publication and matched it to their own chicken's poo, they might say to themselves, "Aha, I have cocci. I'll treat for that." When in fact, treating for cocci isn't going to solve this problem. So, posting these pictures in the cocci section is mis-leading the reader to mis-diagnose it as cocci and treat it as such.

Thoughts? Just trying to help with the accuracy of your publication.

Thanks much,
Guppy

There is another link that has a similar problem:
http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

The link says that these pictures are normal, but I have had necropsies done on birds with poops like this and the reports reveled coccidiosis in three, blackhead in another.
Ceacal3.jpg
Ceacal7.jpg

Here are some pictures that I took when my peachicks were sick. All recovered after being treated with metronidazole 30mg/kg for five days, so I'm assuming it was blackhead.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom