Trying to sex chick, any suggestions?

nszrmch

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! This is my first post here, I hope I'm in the right place.
Early February my parents and I got 5 little baby chicks. Now that the oldest is just about 5 weeks old, I was hoping I could get help determining whether or not 'she's' a 'he'. Breed is black sex link.
I know that 5 weeks is still probably too early to tell but we've had our suspicions for a few weeks now. Here are a few photos from today:
DSCN5220.JPG
View attachment 1286241

When this chick was new, was it all black with a big white dot on its head? If so, it's a boy. Girls are all black head to tail out of the egg. As boys feather out, the feathers will have a barred pattern. That chick looks to be the wrong color for a cockerel. It is probably a pullet.

When this chick was new, was it all black with a big white dot on its head? If so, it's a boy. Girls are all black head to tail out of the egg. As boys feather out, the feathers will have a barred pattern. That chick looks to be the wrong color for a cockerel. It is probably a pullet.
Thank you! We received her at probably about 1 1/2 weeks old. I believe she was all black.

Early February my parents and I got 5 little baby chicks. Now that the oldest is just about 5 weeks old, I was hoping I could get help determining whether or not 'she's' a 'he'. Breed is black sex link.
I know that 5 weeks is still probably too early to tell but we've had our suspicions for a few weeks now. Here are a few photos from today:View attachment 1286243 View attachment 1286241
Where did you get the chicks? From a feed store that gets them from a hatchery or a private individual? IF this chick is a hatchery sex link then it is a pullet. Black sex link cockerels are barred.

If from a private breeder then it may not be. Unfortunately many do not realize that the sex linkage only works for one generation. Breeding sex link to sex link results in mixed breed, mixed color, and most importantly chicks that cannot be sexed by down color.

Where did you get the chicks? From a feed store that gets them from a hatchery or a private individual? IF this chick is a hatchery sex link then it is a pullet. Black sex link cockerels are barred.

If from a private breeder then it may not be. Unfortunately many do not realize that the sex linkage only works for one generation. Breeding sex link to sex link results in mixed breed, mixed color, and most importantly chicks that cannot be sexed by down color.
Thank you! I believe they are from a hatchery? We purchased our chicks from dare2dream farms in Southern California, and I read some reviews on here about them that said they get their chicks from hatcheries, but Im not totally sure. Cool thing about them is, if she ends up being a rooster, they'll replace him with a pullet at no cost. (Roosters are illegal here in my city.)

Back
Top Bottom