Trying to tame quails, need some help... 😭😢

Guys, I did it in one day. First, I trained them to be able to go under my hand which is a trick I call ”tunnel” as if they’re passing under my hand like a tunnel. They let me pet them now and calmly walk away if they’re not comfortable. I used so many leaves to do this 😂. And then, set up a system and they walked out their cage and wandered a lot And ate a lot and really seemed a bit nervous but very happy. Then I put them back in their cage. Was sooo fun with them. I hope i can keep them as tame free roaming (when I’m home) pets soon!

Yes about that they never hop out since they feel threatened and they don’t trust me :’(
They’ll start flying out before they even have enough feathers that a reasonable person would expect they would need to do so. They get scared and all fly like sparrows. I had to clip my button chicks wings because they were constantly trying to get out when I fed them, but they were flying long before their primary feathers were mature enough to be clipped.

They’ll start flying out before they even have enough feathers that a reasonable person would expect they would need to do so. They get scared and all fly like sparrows. I had to clip my button chicks wings because they were constantly trying to get out when I fed them, but they were flying long before their primary feathers were mature enough to be clipped.
That‘s weird, mine don’t even fly anymore. They don’t fly at all. They can only rin or hop small distances. Since our cage door is elevated, they have to fly to get out but they don’t.

That‘s weird, mine don’t even fly anymore. They don’t fly at all. They can only rin or hop small distances. Since our cage door is elevated, they have to fly to get out but they don’t.
At like day 7 give or take I was messaging @Ravenlover about them flying out of the brooder, even though they just had some tips of primaries and baby fluff everywhere else. Then about a week or so later, even though I had a lid on, I found my dog eating one in the bathroom. My kids must have opened it to take one out, and didn’t see another one escape. They probably left the wire flap in the top open and thought they couldn’t fly out such a small space. Last weekend, at 3 weeks, they fly as accurately as sparrows, so I clipped all their wings. Getting them out and clipping them, I had 4-5 escapes and the whole family was chasing them. We got everyone clipped and back inside. They have a very short clip on their right wing, and they fly like rocks now. I can fill the food and water without having to fend them off, and back into the cage. When I open the lid, they all flap like crazy, if they weren’t clipped, they would all be swarming the the opening.

All depends on how big your hatch group is and how tamed and attached they get to u I have 3 who I call the orphans cuz they were extras and I didn't spend time with them just gave them food water and toys and space and such (the extra make is separate now) and they fly away when I take the lip off and reach towards them (which is why I just lift a side up lol) and the rest of mine don't do it unless something scares the hell out of them which is rare then I have a couple that are tamed but grew up with mates so they don't like to be handled but don't freak out I like to think of them as naturally raised lol handled just enough to tame( these ones hatch and raise there own babies if I let them) it all depends

For a button who is super super attached raise with only 1 to nother babies (warning will call for u when left alone in it's cage may annoy spouse when ur at work 😂) plus have to spend a ton of time with them cuz u become there momma

Back
Top Bottom