TS Bantam Chickens—Was told Silkie or Old English Game??

It has a beard, & the pattern is a giveaway. It doesn't fit a Production red, nor a RIR.
I don't see a beard, just normal chick fluff, and the pattern looks very similar to my RIRs (just a little lighter). @salemacresohio what comb type does it have? If single, I'd still guess some production hybrid, but if any other type it's probably an EE.

I don't see a beard, just normal chick fluff, and the pattern looks very similar to my RIRs (just a little lighter). @salemacresohio what comb type does it have? If single, I'd still guess some production hybrid, but if any other type it's probably an EE.
Easter Eggers can be be beardless, & have single combs.

This chick has a partridge pattern, RIRs are a Red Columbian, they're Wheaten based, a completely different coloration.

Can we get a frontal view of the yellow chick's face?

Easter Eggers can be be beardless, & have single combs.
I know. I have a beardless EE and a beardless Colorpack layer with a single comb (CP layers are basically EEs with Legbar used for the blue egg gene).

This chick has a partridge pattern, RIRs are a Red Columbian, they're Wheaten based, a completely different coloration.
Every RIR I've had has feathered out with that partridge-type pattern before the feathers became red. I'm aware of the genetic differences, but they don't immediately start feathering out with their adult pattern (at least none of mine have). I'll see if I can find a picture of one of my young RIRs.

Can we get a frontal view of the yellow chick's face?
I agree that would be helpful.

Sorry if I sound arguementative. I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just saying things as I see them 🙂

I know. I have a beardless EE and a beardless Colorpack layer with a single comb (CP layers are basically EEs with Legbar used for the blue egg gene).

Every RIR I've had has feathered out with that partridge-type pattern before the feathers became red. I'm aware of the genetic differences, but they don't immediately start feathering out with their adult pattern (at least none of mine have). I'll see if I can find a picture of one of my young RIRs.

I agree that would be helpful.

Sorry if I sound arguementative. I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just saying things as I see them 🙂
I had tons of RIRs growing up, & they usually only have speckles in their juvenile plumage. Never seen partridge patterning in RIRs.

I have 2 EEs with Single combs, that lay brown eggs.

Yep.

It's okay, I wasn't trying to either. I was just pointing out somethings.

Well, I love the back and forth because it helps me learn what other people have experienced and you learn more that way!
I’ll go get a frontal view photo!

hold tight...

I had tons of RIRs growing up, & they usually only have speckles in their juvenile plumage. Never seen partridge patterning in RIRs.
I definitely have seen the speckles too. It was like a transition from the partridge-type coloring to the solid red of an adult. All my RIRs were hatched in the past year, so maybe the breeding lines are different from the lines your RIRs came from, and these new lines are now producing partridge-type chicks? Anyway, here's the picture (sorry, this is the only picture that shows the striping. She is still a little young in this photo):
Paddy the Rhode Island Red chick.jpeg

It's hard to tell, but her coverts did get the same striping as OPs chick.

OPs chick is a bit lighter than most RIR chicks I've seen, which is why I'm thinking she is a Production Red.

Last edited:
I definitely have seen the speckles too. It was like a transition from the partridge-type coloring to the solid red of an adult. All my RIRs were hatched in the past year, so maybe the breeding lines are different from the lines your RIRs cam from, and these new lines are now producing partridge-type chicks? Anyway, here's the picture (sorry, this is the only picture that shows the striping. She is still a little young in this photo):
View attachment 2664202
It's hard to tell, but her coverts did get the same striping as OPs chick.

OPs chicks is a bit lighter than most RIR chicks I've seen, which is why I'm thinking she is a Production Red.
Why are the legs pink, instead of orange? Something's not right.

Mine were from TSC, & grew up deep mahogany, like a RIR should be.

Why are the legs pink, instead of orange? Something's not right.

Mine were from TSC, & grew up deep mahogany, like a RIR should be.
Her legs are yellow now. I have no idea why they were pink, it's either weird photo lighting or early chick leg color. This RIR is from Wilco, but I have another (adult) from my local feed store and I've had ones from Ideal Poultry in the past.

Her legs are yellow now. I have no idea why they were pink, it's either weird photo lighting or early chick leg color. This RIR is from Wilco, but I have another (adult) from my local feed store and I've had ones from Ideal Poultry in the past.
Never heard of Wilco. Mine were sourced from Hoover's.
Leg color should be orange on a RIR chick, so I suspect some sort of mixing.

Back
Top Bottom