TS/Hurricane Fay...we have to get ready..

Quote:
Did you here about the ding dong that was kite surfing yesterday and was lifted up by the..you know...tropical storm wind and smashed into a building???? He is in critical condition still.

Quote:
Fay looks like she headed our way. Schools in Duval county (jacksonville)are closing tomorrow, but here in Clay county they will be open. My sister works for the school board and she said they are waiting until they see how bad it gets before making a decision about Thurs. I guess I'll be putting the chickens on lockdown some time tomorrow. Everyone please stay safe and take care.

Hi All,

My family and I are in Lithia Fl, S of the Brandon/Plant City area. I did not expect Fay to move so slowly! Thinking she should be here last night I but my 9 laying pullets in a L dog crate and "waterproofed" a coop for my 11 wk old EE roo. I let them out early this morning and thought Fay was a dud. Then at 9:30pm tonight I was checking on school closures for tomorrow (they really should of had school today NOT tomorrow) We only had mist for rain today so far and not much for wind. The hourly forecast I read said that winds should be 55 MPH with upto 60MPH gust. SO .... I went back out and put the ladies back in the crate but moved it to a shed instead of insde the stable where the main coop is. I just put Georgie in the shed. If only thye were a little younger and he a bit older they could all coop up[ together. But they do not tolerate him very well, at this time. The coop he was in is strong but just hardware cloth and 2 by 4's. I dont think my waterproofing will withstand 60 MPH! I want him to stay dry.

This is my first Hurricane where we have outside animals to protect. I am so glad for this forum! It would be so much more difficult not knowing others doing the same prep etc. SO a BIG <<<HUG>>> and thank you all for the information you post thru out this forum! I am new to chickens so the inofrmation is helpful. I have been reading this forum for a couple of months now and have found it very friendly place!

May I ask a question to all of my fellow Floridians? Do any of you breed or know a breeder of Silver, Blue or colorful (not B & W) Ameracauna that sell hatching eggs here in FL? (or elsewhere if not more local). I will be looking to hatch some Oct/Nov. Please PM me I dont want to "highjack" the topic here.

Blessing and safety to all (human and animal) in the path of Fay tonight and these next few days. Sadly, I dont feel she is only hitting FL. ~ Laura

Last edited:
So far it's only sprinkled a few times but we are ready for the heavy stuff. My kids went to school monday and they have been out since. They closed it tomorrow too they are loving it. Foreverblessed I PM'd you.

We've had it pretty good here so far, a good bit of rain in the last few hours though. Which concerns me because there's only one way in and out of our street which is a bridge over a good size creek. At 3P today it was about 2ft below the bridge and it doesn't take much to push it over the top from there. Seminole is supposed to have school tommorow i Hope we can get out to send my daughter to school in the morning. For both of our sanity. Good luck everyone!

It's starting to rain harder and the wind is picking up. According to nhc.noaa.gov the center of circulation should be over us by tomorrow morning....that is, of course, if it follows the new prediction of it's path.

Chickens got to free range for a while this morning before going back to their pens.

Im just north of Ocala....the rains have picked up. I just nailed a tarp over my coop door opening....I really didnt want to lock the girls and boys in, but I didnt want the coop to get soaked, so I nailed a tarp over the door and left about 8 inches for them to get in and out of. Ive never seen chickens that loved to be out in the rain as much as these guys.

It's getting pretty windy here earlier I heard a loud crack and a thump. Went to the other end of the house to see what happen and a hugh oak fell next door. Called the neighbor to see if they were ok. She said it just missed their house and it scared them to death. That is the only thing I don't like about the house we are in. Few years ago we had one fall and it just missed our house by a foot. So I don't sleep in the bedroom when it storms like this makes me to nervous.

Stay safe! I am sooooooo glad I had that dead tree taken out last week, it was leaning towards our well.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom