TSA wants to double security fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you show your source that claims X-rays are harmful, please?

I'm as irritated as anyone by the every increasing restrictions on personal liberties but sometimes there's a real need. Every airport and aircraft security measure that's been introduced during all of the years that I've been travelling by air is, sadly, necessary. Each new measure has been a reaction to an attempt at sabotage or hijacking. Each new measure is followed by a new form of attack, and so on it goes.

There's no completely effective set of measure that can keep us safe at airports and in the air. Each journey involves a risk. However, I'm prepared to submit to the checks I'm asked to because they at least reduce the risk. Passengers, however well checked, carrying guns on a plane would be no comfort to me and the idea belongs in a movie rather than real life.

I fly long haul and have never seen one of those full and revealing body scanners. My hand baggage is x-rayed and I walk through a detector. If the detector sounds, I'm scanned with a hand held detector and may be politely patted down. Some types of shoe have to be removed and checked so I always wear slip-on sandal types. They don't have full body scanners in the UK, Middle East or Thailand to my certain knowledge. What is the reason for them to be used in the US when other countries don't find them necessary?

Picking up another point, killing all terrorists is both impossible and ineffective. There seems to be an infinite supply. Also, not all who would blow up a plane are terrorists. How do you eliminate the lone nutcase or blackmailer before he attempts to take over or bring down a plane other than by tight security?

Saudi Arabia which has the biggest threat to terrorism does not use them because they openly profile. You can pass through the airport smoking a cigar and they won't care.

X-rays are harmful. That is why you wear lead vests when getting your teeth x-rayed or different parts of your body.

Saudi Arabia which has the biggest threat to terrorism does not use them because they openly profile. You can pass through the airport smoking a cigar and they won't care.

X-rays are harmful. That is why you wear lead vests when getting your teeth x-rayed or different parts of your body.

Music is bad for your hearing IF it's to loud. A 1000 airport scans = 1 dental x-ray.

Quote:

Where in the Constitution was the government given power to play security for a private company on my dime. If an airline wants to make people strip nude an dance the funky chicken before boarding there plane that's fine. The fed on the other hand has no business dictating those rules nor does it have any business playing security for the airlines. The courts have already said that the forth amendment protects the people from the government setting up checkpoints to search you. It also said that using technology to see what can not be seen by the human eye is also a 4th amendment violation. There is a reason the founders did not want the fed to have these powers.

An no I have not forgotten anything. I have not forgotten how a policy of giving in to hijackers demands killed thousands. This sheeple mindset that you should not defend your self, that its the governments job to do that. Thats what let 9/11 happen. Not a few box cutters.

The bottom line for me...
Yeah, it IS a big pain in the butt to go through all that security...
But i'd rather deal with that than be on a flight a zillion miles in the air,..on my cell phone, calling my loved ones saying that I love them for the last time. (as many did on 9/11)
So yeah,... i'll ***** and moan..but i'll deal with it to make my flights safer.
When 9/11 happened people were all up in arms... we NEED/ DEMAND better airport security!! This should have never been allowed to happen!! (anyone remember those days?)
Now that its happend?? People want to *****.. probably because they cant carry their weed with them on vacations anymore.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a question.. How many planes world wide have been hijacked sense 9/11? How many were hijacked world wide in the 11 years prior to 9/11? Mind you I am asking world wide, not just the US.

I know..i know. I do hear ya!
But i'm just saying,.. for ME... i'll deal with it.. because those bastards are scary and smart! They'll keep trying... they dont stop. They plan and plan.. and we need to do all we can to protect ourselves from them wackos..
We never ever thought something like 9/11 would happen..
I like to be prepared,.. like a boyscout.. :lol:
Just my opinion... as usual. :p

How about Kuwait, then?

I've had many x-rays over the years in hospitals and dental surgeries. I'm still as near to normal as I ever was. I'd still be interested to consider whether x-ray scanners are harmful if you can come up with some evidence. As far as I can tell at the moment, passengers who have passed through these scanners are in better shape than anyone blown up by explosives that can't be found by metal detectors.

I still would like to know why they are used in the US, presumably for domestic as well as international flights, when I haven't seen them used elsewhere. I wonder whether one purpose is to look for drugs strapped to the body.

Where in the Constitution was the government given power to play security for a private company on my dime. If an airline wants to make people strip nude an dance the funky chicken before boarding there plane that's fine. The fed on the other hand has no business dictating those rules nor does it have any business playing security for the airlines. The courts have already said that the forth amendment protects the people from the government setting up checkpoints to search you. It also said that using technology to see what can not be seen by the human eye is also a 4th amendment violation. There is a reason the founders did not want the fed to have these powers.

An no I have not forgotten anything. I have not forgotten how a policy of giving in to hijackers demands killed thousands. This sheeple mindset that you should not defend your self, that its the governments job to do that. Thats what let 9/11 happen. Not a few box cutters.

So there should be no FDA ?

And what did you mean by your dime ?

Last edited:
How about Kuwait, then?

I've had many x-rays over the years in hospitals and dental surgeries. I'm still as near to normal as I ever was. I'd still be interested to consider whether x-ray scanners are harmful if you can come up with some evidence. As far as I can tell at the moment, passengers who have passed through these scanners are in better shape than anyone blown up by explosives that can't be found by metal detectors.

I still would like to know why they are used in the US, presumably for domestic as well as international flights, when I haven't seen them used elsewhere. I wonder whether one purpose is to look for drugs strapped to the body.

I think if they were looking for drugs they would check incoming international flights when the passengers got off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom