TSC bedding poisoned chicks

Coffee grounds are definitely organic matter of some sort, and have a fine texture, so you could sprinkle it on your lawn and let bacteria & earthworms break it down and work it into the soil.
For most circumstances I would completely agree, but we live in the desert so no grass or such. It would likely just blow away before we ever got rain.

Same here. I've been using the natural bedding made from spent coffee grounds in my coop for a month. I really love how easy it is to clean out under the roosts. I use a reptile litter sifter. Works like a charm. The strong coffee smell also wore off really fast. Now, it's faint.

I dumped a bag of the coffee ground bedding from TSC in with 5+ bags of shavings. 3 bags shavings, 1 bag coffee bedding, a month passed, then 2 more bags shavings.

I have 6 new chicks as of 5/1. I'll report here if any/all suddenly die.
To some of us it just isn't worth it to add it knowing it could make them sick. It your baby chicks developed any of the symptoms you might not notice it until its too late. https://chickenandchicksinfo.com/can-chickens-eat-coffee-grounds/

they may not eat them purposely as part of their diet but as they peck and poke around invariably are going to ingest them. especially if they are chasing bugs and stuff in there and it's not a surgical strike but a grab whatever happens to be between them closing jaws of death and swallow it !!

Back
Top Bottom