TSC bedding poisoned chicks

chickawhat

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
Florence, TX
all my chicks started dying after i switched to this bedding. I cannot believe I did such a stupid thing w/o first doing researching on this new product. out of 14 chicks I only have 3 left and they are all looking pretty bad. I’ve switch back to pine shavings but is there anything i can do to help my last 3 chicks? they’re drinking water w/ rooster booster in it when i dip their beaks but they aren’t opening their eyes. just laying on their side with increasingly fast heart rates. I’ve got no experience with chick poisoning. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• D47B74B1-95EF-4C3C-966E-4FF0C1A2BA7A.jpeg
    D47B74B1-95EF-4C3C-966E-4FF0C1A2BA7A.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 561
  • D13E59EA-5AB9-4E51-908F-6B0D68EE168F.jpeg
    D13E59EA-5AB9-4E51-908F-6B0D68EE168F.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 37
Oh no! They are it? Oh my goodness im so sorry. What does it look like? The bedding?
like coffee grounds :( I assumed it was chaff and didn’t verify. and the only reason i picked up this dumb bag was because they were out of the big flakes and I don’t use the fine shaving because of all the dust (allergies)
How do you know it was the bedding? Were the chicks eating it?
it’s the only variable. i got the bedding in their this weekend & my chicks started dying last night. everything else is exactly how i’ve been doing it for years, brooder plate w/ govee sitting in the center, rooster booster in the water & the same chick feed all my other chicks are eating. I’ve got 4 chick stations going right now & this is the only one that i used the coffee bedding in

all my chicks started dying after i switched to this bedding. I cannot believe I did such a stupid thing w/o first doing researching on this new product. out of 14 chicks I only have 3 left and they are all looking pretty bad. I’ve switch back to pine shavings but is there anything i can do to help my last 3 chicks? they’re drinking water w/ rooster booster in it when i dip their beaks but they aren’t opening their eyes. just laying on their side with increasingly fast heart rates. I’ve got no experience with chick poisoning. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Someone posted the same issue recently. There's a photo on page 8 of the product they used. It looks the same to me but I don't have my glasses on so don't hold me to it. There are tips in the thread. I'm sorry this is happening!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-6-day-old-chick-all-of-a-sudden-sick.1511138/

Someone posted the same issue recently. There's a photo on page 8 of the product they used. It looks the same to me but I don't have my glasses on so don't hold me to it. There are tips in the thread. I'm sorry this is happening!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-6-day-old-chick-all-of-a-sudden-sick.1511138/
Good Gravy! That’s the same damn stuff!!! I cannot believe this! I am going to secure a few of the dead chicks and send them in to Texas A&M. I’m so livid

Back
Top Bottom