TSC silkie? Lol

HulonB

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
So the silkie my wife bought is a cross, think it is a Mystic Onyx and is not a pullet but a rooster and he has these weird appendages protruding from his elbow, is this normal for this cross or what is it or is he just a freak
8B746C94-2687-4CA7-8729-5D6C85F5B998.jpeg
D8C6094C-9182-4879-8876-46D0FDAD661D.jpeg

The feathers are just sticking out. It could be a minor feather deformity, something caused by incubator conditions, or that particular feather got damaged. It could disappear next time he molts.
He is a mystic onyx, not a silkie.

The feathers are just sticking out. It could be a minor feather deformity, something caused by incubator conditions, or that particular feather got damaged. It could disappear next time he molts.
He is a mystic onyx, not a silkie.
I know what he is, they were sold to my wife as silkies which they aren’t, these feathers are jointed like another wing is growing out

Bummer. Frickin TSC is frustrating sometimes. Just had a staff meme we at our local TSC tell me that had two water tanks full of poults and silkies. Two separate tank brooder dog course. And they came from opposite sides of the county. Not the same hatchery. Every. One. Of. Them. Died. Scary.
on a related note, the TSC stores in Wisconsin never ever sell silkies as pullets only. They have historically sold silkies as straight run. No big surprise that this happened to you. Seeing how they mix the different chicks because they order to many. Most of which have a wicked case of untreated pasty butt around here. I can’t help it. Even though going in the kennel where the brooder tanks are located is strictly forbidden, I do it anyway and clean up bad pasty butt and clean and refill the water because it’s always full of crap and shavings. I am a familiar face and they’ve learned I have the best of intentions but a customer shouldn’t have to feel the need to do this. It’s basic chick care. Maybe they need to stop ordering and selling chicks all together. The employees admittedly hate caring for them. When I go in one of the mangers that’s a friend of mine always offers me some for 50 cents or whatever just to take them off their hands. Even after handling them I come home and change and wash up before handling my flocks. So I would not bring one home- not from around here anyway.
But yours sure is a different looking and rather beautiful bird. Even if it’s not what you thought you were getting. Bummer. Hopefully he turns out to be a good roo and the concern turns out to be nothing. He is at that awkward stage. I wouldn’t worry just yet.

Bummer. Frickin TSC is frustrating sometimes. Just had a staff meme we at our local TSC tell me that had two water tanks full of poults and silkies. Two separate tank brooder dog course. And they came from opposite sides of the county. Not the same hatchery. Every. One. Of. Them. Died. Scary.
on a related note, the TSC stores in Wisconsin never ever sell silkies as pullets only. They have historically sold silkies as straight run. No big surprise that this happened to you. Seeing how they mix the different chicks because they order to many. Most of which have a wicked case of untreated pasty butt around here. I can’t help it. Even though going in the kennel where the brooder tanks are located is strictly forbidden, I do it anyway and clean up bad pasty butt and clean and refill the water because it’s always full of crap and shavings. I am a familiar face and they’ve learned I have the best of intentions but a customer shouldn’t have to feel the need to do this. It’s basic chick care. Maybe they need to stop ordering and selling chicks all together. The employees admittedly hate caring for them. When I go in one of the mangers that’s a friend of mine always offers me some for 50 cents or whatever just to take them off their hands. Even after handling them I come home and change and wash up before handling my flocks. So I would not bring one home- not from around here anyway.
But yours sure is a different looking and rather beautiful bird. Even if it’s not what you thought you were getting. Bummer. Hopefully he turns out to be a good roo and the concern turns out to be nothing. He is at that awkward stage. I wouldn’t worry just yet.
He seems good tempered now and he is colored well, the hen looks like my marans but with a black comb, his comb is a mulberry color, not red and not black

He's a unique bird. I've seen chicks with a tiny claw in the same area.

He seems good tempered now and he is colored well, the hen looks like my marans but with a black comb, his comb is a mulberry color, not red and not black
Mulberry is very common in birds with the Fibromelanosis genotype (the purple/ mulberry) unless they’re double FM I think he’s so pretty. I couldn’t see what you meant by growths on the elbow though?

Mulberry is very common in birds with the Fibromelanosis genotype (the purple/ mulberry) unless they’re double FM I think he’s so pretty. I couldn’t see what you meant by growths on the elbow though?
He has these hinged feather groups off the elbow of his wing

Attachments

• C4FFDF8C-9428-4821-8859-ADFB61C07C1E.jpeg
    C4FFDF8C-9428-4821-8859-ADFB61C07C1E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom