Tube feeding and hydration help

mseely

Songster
6 Years
Jun 9, 2017
Hi! I've read a lot about tube feeding chickens and I decided that it was best for my hen to start tube feeding her. I've read through the tube feeding journey thread and many others but I still have a couple of questions.

-My hen is a buff orpington, she weighed over 8 lbs and now since she's been sick she's lost some weight. (Not sure the exact amount but her keel is poking out more than it was)
-I've been trying to get close to 240 mL of h2o a day
-I'm currently using kaytee exact to tube feed her. The forum I read recommended giving 4 oz twice a day to start and then 6 oz a day after a couple of days.

My main question is should I be giving her 240 mL of water still with the Kaytee exact? Or should I be using less water? Right now I've been just substituting some of the water, I haven't given her over 2 oz of food yet (I just started tube feeding her last night) Her poop has been more put together and close to normal looking (first time in over a week!) so I think it's helping. Any info on mixing too would be helpful as well, I've just been following the package directions. Thanks in advance!

It won't let me upload them in order but the pink towel is last night after giving her ~50 ml of kaytee exact and antibiotics. The red flannel is from Friday, before she started antibiotics and the green is from the day before that. She did have one good poop that was normal looking yesterday (after giving her 50 ml kaytee exact in the am) but I forgot to take a picture of it.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.JPG
    IMG_3118.JPG
    597.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3100.JPG
    IMG_3100.JPG
    1,001 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3125.JPG
    IMG_3125.JPG
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3126.JPG