Tube Feeding Disabled Chicken

breezyj

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I recently hatched a couple of eggs at school. One chick hatched with a crooked neck. I originally thought it was due to wry neck and treated it as such. As it grew, I realized it had a deformed (haven't thought of a better way than that to say it) neck. His neck literally turns at a 90 degree angle in what I believe is a permanent deformity. I have decided to try to raise him in the hopes when he is big enough he will become more independent and be able to feed himself. He is about 10 weeks old now. He is great except for not being able to stand up straight and feed and drink on his own. Here is my question. I need to find a good tube feeding formula to feed him. I tried soaking the feed, but it is difficult to get through the tube. In fact, the tube popped off tonight and I squirted food all over the ceiling! He is NOT sick and does not need a formula for sick birds. I need something that can sustain him possibly long term. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Kaytee Exact is what I use. You could also try soaking crumbles in hot water for an hour or so, then use a stick blender or regular blender to purée it. How big is your tube?
Thanks for the reply. I am only using fish tank tubing right now because it's the only thing I could get right away. I haven't decided exactly what to order yet.

Back
Top Bottom