Tumor/Growth on Hen

Kindly, that's not what the article says. This disease is a bit confusing, but there are a few things we know for sure. If you read it carefully it explains what actually happens... vaccinated birds that are exposed to the virus can still spread it but the vaccine, itself, does not spread the virus. The act of vaccinating birds, alone, will not cause the spread of the virus. Vaccinating birds that are then exposed and survive will spread the virus.. the same way unvaccinated birds (that are exposed and survive) will. The studies cited in that link do suggest that vaccinated birds are more likely to spread very virulent copies of the virus due to their higher survival rate (since they were vaccinated) in commercial poultry situations, since the boosted immune systems can drive virus mutation. In essence, the vaccine allows chickens to survive more than ones that are not vaccinated, which is driving the evolution of the virus to be more deadly in commercial poultry farms (it's generally unstudied in small flocks / backyard chickens) due to the sheer numbers of birds and crowded situations. Despite this, even the article itself says that vaccination is still the best option if you read it. I don't mean to debate but I am confident in my research on this aspect of the disease.

Last edited:
Yes I did go back thru and reread it and you are right on they still have to be exposed. I however feel if the vaccine has caused it to spread faster, I would rather not vaccinate and breed for hardy birds. Guess it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Thanks for explaining it.

Yes I did go back thru and reread it and you are right on they still have to be exposed. I however feel if the vaccine has caused it to spread faster, I would rather not vaccinate and breed for hardy birds. Guess it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Thanks for explaining it.

No problem. It's a very frustrating virus and the commercial poultry world has seemingly made it worse. The choice to vaccinate is a personal one and I try not to influence people's decision one way or the other, but I want to make sure they have the facts before they decide.

I think too, the article says it's better to vaccinate cause the vaccination itself has cause it to spread like wildfire so now it's almost better to just let every bird carry it. I don't like that thought.

The virus was known to be fairly ubiquitous before the vaccination was first created; it did truthfully kill countless birds both in the industry and on individual's properties before we ever developed a vaccine. Some studies show that this family of virus (herpesviruses) are some of the oldest on the planet.
It was often not called by name but old farmers and poultry keepers often knew if a young bird developed "The Splits" that it was likely to die. What we are finding now is that the vaccine has probably just accelerated the virus' evolution/mutation into strains that are more deadly, given the conditions in commercial poultry operations. Similar to how an overuse of antibiotics in some situations have created antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The answer isn't necessarily to stop using antibiotics but to be careful and selective in their use, and continue researching better ways. In this way, vaccination (and I'm talking only about Marek's now, other diseases/vaccines are different!) might not be right for everyone, but is still the best choice for some, depending on their poultry goals. It is my hope that we might develop a perfect vaccine for this virus one day. Fingers crossed!

The virus was known to be fairly ubiquitous before the vaccination was first created; it did truthfully kill countless birds both in the industry and on individual's properties before we ever developed a vaccine. Some studies show that this family of virus (herpesviruses) are some of the oldest on the planet.
It was often not called by name but old farmers and poultry keepers often knew if a young bird developed "The Splits" that it was likely to die. What we are finding now is that the vaccine has probably just accelerated the virus' evolution/mutation into strains that are more deadly, given the conditions in commercial poultry operations. Similar to how an overuse of antibiotics in some situations have created antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The answer isn't necessarily to stop using antibiotics but to be careful and selective in their use, and continue researching better ways. In this way, vaccination (and I'm talking only about Marek's now, other diseases/vaccines are different!) might not be right for everyone, but is still the best choice for some, depending on their poultry goals. It is my hope that we might develop a perfect vaccine for this virus one day. Fingers crossed!

Very well put, I like that veiw.

So I believe my flock does have Mereks. The hen with the tumor/growth is still alive and was doing quite well until recently, I believe it is time to cull her. We have had 2 (possible 3) hens experience paralysis of the legs in the last few months that we have had to cull. Does anyone know if there is anything we can do? Or do we just watch them drop off slowly?

Back
Top Bottom