Tumor/Growth on Hen

mamahen_mary

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2018
Fresno, California
I just discovered a growth (about 1 inch diameter) on my hen's lower rib area yesterday. She is 8 months old and acting healthy (eating, drinking, scratching, etc). I'm not sure if she is laying, we isolated her yesterday so I will know today if she is. I did a about an hour of combing through this thread last night and didn't find any similar conditions. I don't believe it has anything to do with her crop or vent. The only other symptoms are her poop seems more watery than usual and when we hold her she tends to poop on whomever is holding her. I know chickens are good at hiding sickness until it is really bad. So.....
1. Any idea what this is?
2. Should we keep her isolated?
3. What should be our next step?
IMG_5400.JPG

Last edited:
If she is contagious, shes already spread it to the others having carried this virus for quite sometime. If she were mine, Id put her back with the others, IF they won't bother her. Lots of vitamins, probiotics, even try some spray on Colidal Silver in hopes of slowing the growth of this thing. I do not recommend cutting it off. Too many blood vessels, she could bleed to death. If you have an avian vet, you might have them take a look.

You said it had white material down inside. Wonder if it is the solid pus that we see in an abscess? I had someone look at the picture who sees a lot of tumors, and he said it looked too round and smooth to be a tumor, but maybe a cyst. He thought it might be a single bot or warble fly bite with maggots inside, or an ingrown feather cyst. If you see white material it might be worthwhile to try to open it a little and try to express it. But don’t go too far if there is a lot of blood. I don’t know how late it is where you are, so you may want to wait until morning.

Could be an ingrown feather. I see a black spot in the middle. Is this a hole with black material in it? If so, this probably is a ingrown feather. And if it is, you would start with an alcohol wipe on the area, sterile instruments and at that hole you first dig out the feather. You will need to squeeze as much of the pus out of the cyst as possible, then use antibiotic ointments for a couple weeks. She should heal just fine.

Keep us posted! :)

I don't know what it is, but I would definitely keep her isolated. To chickens that's just a fun target to peck at. They don't know any better.
The lump isn't in plain sight. We exposed it for the pic, her wing and chest feathers typically cover it. She was stressing a bit being away from the flock for 2 days. We'll keep an eye on her ;). My kids are out in the run holding hens multiple times throughout the day. Thanks for the comment!

A few questions—
Is the lump hard? Does that scab looking section seem to be from an injury or like the growth burst?

Tumors are possible but I’m try to rule out injury. Chicken infection isn’t the liquidy puss we get as humans. It is a hard yellow substance that if removed can make improvements quickly.

I’m no expert and definitely not a vet but if it were me I would try to investigate the growth further. Soak the area and see if that scab loosens. If you can take close up pictures to post. The more clues we have the more we can help.

Back
Top Bottom