Tumor/Growth on Hen

Kindly, that's not what the article says. This disease is a bit confusing, but there are a few things we know for sure. If you read it carefully it explains what actually happens... vaccinated birds that are exposed to the virus can still spread it but the vaccine, itself, does not spread the virus. The act of vaccinating birds, alone, will not cause the spread of the virus. Vaccinating birds that are then exposed and survive will spread the virus.. the same way unvaccinated birds (that are exposed and survive) will. The studies cited in that link do suggest that vaccinated birds are more likely to spread very virulent copies of the virus due to their higher survival rate (since they were vaccinated) in commercial poultry situations, since the boosted immune systems can drive virus mutation. In essence, the vaccine allows chickens to survive more than ones that are not vaccinated, which is driving the evolution of the virus to be more deadly in commercial poultry farms (it's generally unstudied in small flocks / backyard chickens) due to the sheer numbers of birds and crowded situations. Despite this, even the article itself says that vaccination is still the best option if you read it. I don't mean to debate but I am confident in my research on this aspect of the disease.

Last edited:
Down about 5 o’clock and 11 o’clock in the picture where it is yellow, there is a little swelling around the feathers. It is so perfectly round which is not like most tumors I have seen in pics. Could it be a warble fly, if not a feather cyst?

Could this be fly strike?

I've seen only one case of fly strike but you could clearly see maggots in the hole.

That is what I was wondering about a warble fly with maggots. Should they try flushing out the wound with soapy water, and applying some ointment. Or maybe some screw worm spray or permethrin? Many people use an Epsom salts bath to try to get maggot larvae out.
So the "bloody area" about "3 o'clock" on the mass was a scab that I pulled off to see if I could see any feather but it only bled and I saw a little bit of white hard substance. Should we be more aggressive in cutting on the mass to see what is below the skin?
It has a fair amount of blood flow to it. You can see veins and blood below the mass where the skin separates from the "breast meat".

I'm not sure how quickly the tumor has grown, this hen is a bit harder to catch and doesn't get as much "love" from my kiddos as the others. We've know about it for a few days. Anything other symptoms I should look to for Mareks? I believe it was vaccinated.

Mareks vaccination is a leaky vaccine and the bird can still get symptoms so it can't be ruled out. And so your aware too, don't get birds that aren't vaccinated and bring them into your flock cause vaccinated birds can pass mareks to unvaccinated birds. I hope it's just an abcess of some sort.

This doesnt sound like an ingrown feather but rather tumor like.
Any ideas on what to do with her? She is in our older smaller coop and run by herself at the moment. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I'm afraid to put her back with the rest of the flock and either 1) spread disease or 2) have them peck on the tumor and it bleed more.
Should I just give her a few days by herself and see how she fairs?

Yes I did go back thru and reread it and you are right on they still have to be exposed. I however feel if the vaccine has caused it to spread faster, I would rather not vaccinate and breed for hardy birds. Guess it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Thanks for explaining it.

Back
Top Bottom