Tumor/Growth on Hen

You said it had white material down inside. Wonder if it is the solid pus that we see in an abscess? I had someone look at the picture who sees a lot of tumors, and he said it looked too round and smooth to be a tumor, but maybe a cyst. He thought it might be a single bot or warble fly bite with maggots inside, or an ingrown feather cyst. If you see white material it might be worthwhile to try to open it a little and try to express it. But don’t go too far if there is a lot of blood. I don’t know how late it is where you are, so you may want to wait until morning.

Should I be more concerned about her watery/loose stool and poop covered vent area? We've had to wash it 2 days in a row.....

The loose stool may or may not be related. What color is the poop? Urates? Do the butt feathers smell really musty sour? (Intestinal yeast infections make the butt feathers smell very strong)

Bacterial infections can cause fever. Feel the feet. It they are ripping hot and or the bird is pulling their wings away from the body or even panting, I would suspect bacterial infection. This is if this is an ingrown feather/feather cyst and the infection has progressed enough for the birds temp to rise in order to kill the bacteria.

Last edited:
A BIG thank you to everyone who has commented and given suggestions on how to help our hen.
Update on Trumpkin the Hen..... After chatting with a few people and reading though suggestions on this thread we think she may have a breast blister or infection from an injury of some sort. So far no fever or other symptoms. We put her back with the flock today and will monitor the lump and her condition. Tomorrow we plan on cleaning and then slathering the lump with Neosporin and then covering it with Vaseline. Here's to hoping she stays healthy :)

I don't know what it is, but I would definitely keep her isolated. To chickens that's just a fun target to peck at. They don't know any better.
The lump isn't in plain sight. We exposed it for the pic, her wing and chest feathers typically cover it. She was stressing a bit being away from the flock for 2 days. We'll keep an eye on her ;). My kids are out in the run holding hens multiple times throughout the day. Thanks for the comment!

While I haven't (yet?) experienced it myself, cutaneous Marek's tumors from my research don't look like this. I am not saying it's NOT Marek's: simply that this doesn't look like a typical Marek's tumor. Lymphoid Leukosis generally manifests as tumors on viscera and not as a cutaneous lesion. My best guess would be ingrown feathers or an old hidden wound that developed an infection that the body walled off (similar to the staph that causes bumblefoot).

Mareks vaccination is a leaky vaccine and the bird can still get symptoms so it can't be ruled out. And so your aware too, don't get birds that aren't vaccinated and bring them into your flock cause vaccinated birds can pass mareks to unvaccinated birds. I hope it's just an abcess of some sort.

Not true, that's not what a leaky vaccine means. It just means it's not a perfect immunity, so any bird exposed to Marek's might become a carrier. ANY chicken, vaccinated or not, must first be exposed to Marek's in order to spread/pass it on to others. The vaccine alone can not cause the spread of Marek's disease. Vaccinated birds are simply more likely to survive exposure, and therefore may be silent carriers. But they must be exposed before they can be carriers. Be careful as this misinformation sometimes means people don't vaccinate, based on a misunderstanding.

While I haven't (yet?) experienced it myself, cutaneous Marek's tumors from my research don't look like this. I am not saying it's NOT Marek's: simply that this doesn't look like a typical Marek's tumor. Lymphoid Leukosis generally manifests as tumors on viscera and not as a cutaneous lesion. My best guess would be ingrown feathers or an old hidden wound that developed an infection that the body walled off (similar to the staph that causes bumblefoot).

Not true, that's not what a leaky vaccine means. It just means it's not a perfect immunity, so any bird exposed to Marek's might become a carrier. ANY chicken, vaccinated or not, must first be exposed to Marek's in order to spread/pass it on to others. The vaccine alone can not cause the spread of Marek's disease. Vaccinated birds are simply more likely to survive exposure, and therefore may be silent carriers. But they must be exposed before they can be carriers. Be careful as this misinformation sometimes means people don't vaccinate, based on a misunderstanding.

Actually the vaccine can spread it. Read this study in this article:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous

Back
Top Bottom