Tumor/Growth on Hen

Has it grown quickly? Tumors can be common in chickens. Some are associated with lymphoid leukosis or Mareks disease. You might consult a vet for more advice or for removal. I would use plain neosporin ointment, Vetericyn, or betadine on it.
I'm not sure how quickly the tumor has grown, this hen is a bit harder to catch and doesn't get as much "love" from my kiddos as the others. We've know about it for a few days. Anything other symptoms I should look to for Mareks? I believe it was vaccinated.

That is what I was wondering about a warble fly with maggots. Should they try flushing out the wound with soapy water, and applying some ointment. Or maybe some screw worm spray or permethrin? Many people use an Epsom salts bath to try to get maggot larvae out.
So the "bloody area" about "3 o'clock" on the mass was a scab that I pulled off to see if I could see any feather but it only bled and I saw a little bit of white hard substance. Should we be more aggressive in cutting on the mass to see what is below the skin?
It has a fair amount of blood flow to it. You can see veins and blood below the mass where the skin separates from the "breast meat".

Then its either as Eggcessive suggested some sort of tumor or an ingrown feather. A few types of viruses do cause tumors in chickens, Mareks and Avian Luekosis comes to mind.

As suggested, soaking in Epsom salt might suck the poisons out, a warm compress might be the easier route than soaking the entire bird. Maybe even some Colidal silver sprayed on a couple times a day.

So the "bloody area" about "3 o'clock" on the mass was a scab that I pulled off to see if I could see any feather but it only bled and I saw a little bit of white hard substance. Should we be more aggressive in cutting on the mass to see what is below the skin?
It has a fair amount of blood flow to it. You can see veins and blood below the mass where the skin separates from the "breast meat".

This doesnt sound like an ingrown feather but rather tumor like.

I'm not sure how quickly the tumor has grown, this hen is a bit harder to catch and doesn't get as much "love" from my kiddos as the others. We've know about it for a few days. Anything other symptoms I should look to for Mareks? I believe it was vaccinated.

Mareks vaccination is a leaky vaccine and the bird can still get symptoms so it can't be ruled out. And so your aware too, don't get birds that aren't vaccinated and bring them into your flock cause vaccinated birds can pass mareks to unvaccinated birds. I hope it's just an abcess of some sort.

This doesnt sound like an ingrown feather but rather tumor like.
Any ideas on what to do with her? She is in our older smaller coop and run by herself at the moment. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I'm afraid to put her back with the rest of the flock and either 1) spread disease or 2) have them peck on the tumor and it bleed more.
Should I just give her a few days by herself and see how she fairs?

If she is contagious, shes already spread it to the others having carried this virus for quite sometime. If she were mine, Id put her back with the others, IF they won't bother her. Lots of vitamins, probiotics, even try some spray on Colidal Silver in hopes of slowing the growth of this thing. I do not recommend cutting it off. Too many blood vessels, she could bleed to death. If you have an avian vet, you might have them take a look.

Back
Top Bottom