Turken acting strange

winglesschicken

Chirping
Jul 23, 2019
Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been here. Anyways, so one of my Turkens has been acting super strange for awhile now.

Super sickly looking (pale comb and neck), just stands there all puffed out and seems to really lack awareness. The way she walks is really strange, too. I can't describe it other than bouncy. She looks like she really has a pep in her step when she moves but in a way that's just different from other chickens. Her behavior started around when it began getting colder where I live. And when it began snowing she really wasn't doing good. We pulled her inside and she was fine after an hour or two. Ran around our house, followed us around, that sort of thing. She really loved being inside and just minded her own business. Even was taught not to go on the carpet. She was doing better inside, but still not eating much or drinking much. She'd have diarrhea often, and still stand all weird and fluffed up.

Something that's affecting her is outside, I believe. But whatever it is has affected her to the extent of her diet and her general behaviors to have changed in general.

Also, when picking her up she feels extremely stiff and awkward. Not all flowy like my other birds.

I'm sorry I don't know what other information to put here, but I'll answer any questions I can in the comments.

but still not eating much or drinking much. She'd have diarrhea often, and still stand all weird and fluffed up.
Sounds like a sick bird.
How old is she, in weeks or months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Posting some pics or video of her might help here.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

An update for anyone curious: her sickness was related to cold weather. Only started when it was cold out, and when it warmed up she was just fine. We ended up having a cold burst one day and she passed away in her sleeping spot. I have a feeling she died peacefully. I dont know exactly what it was she had but it was definitely closely associated with cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom