Turken breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamawolf544, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I have had lots of chickens, but this is my first year with turkens and they are just now breeding age.
    Can I breed Turken to Turken? I think I can but I want to be sure I wont have naked birds.
    Thanks,
    Terri

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes you can breed turken to turken, you won't get naked chicks. About the only thing you may notice from that is some chicks may turn out with much smaller bowties, those would be the ones pure for the naked neck gene.

If you were wondering, turken with another breed like barred rock will throw at least some chicks or all chicks with the naked neck, depending on if the turken parent is pure or not for the naked neck gene.

Here's a chick pure for naked neck, as you can see it still has a fuzzy body.

[​IMG]

jmhappycowboy's splash hens, the pure one is in front, not pure in back(look at the bowtie size difference):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG]

Thank you, I'm glad to know they wont be nekkid!!!!!
    I love those birds.

4. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Congrats on discovering Turkens! I love them too. [​IMG] In fact I have to reduce my chicken flock and Turkens are going to be the only breed left here. Very nice and fun birds.

5. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    i love my turken too, i have 3 rooster, and many hens i really want some more

6. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Oh, wook at those wittle fuzzy babies! so cute, I want to squeeze them and kiss them! [​IMG]

I have showgirls, and the chicks are so stinkin cute! one of my friends has a turken, and she bred her to her EE roo. the chicks came out nekked necked, poufy cheeked. so cute!

7. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Oh yea, showgirl chicks are way cute too.

Lisa (Dipsy Doo) also has frizzled turkens, sounds funny but hers are actually very nice looking..

8. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    doesn't sound funny to me......I love the "weird and unusual"! I think I have seen a pic of the frizzled turkens, and your right......they are very nice!

9. trkcChick

trkcChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Culloden, GA
    I just got her, "Vegas", yesterday at the North GA Chicken Swap.

I think she is a Showgirl Frizzle. She has black skin, 5 toes, and feathered feet. My daughter really likes her. I'm not sure what I think yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Oh My.......... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by