Turkey and Chick Mixing question..again...sorry guys

mkhenderson17

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
A client brought a "chick" into work today. they found it on the side of the road. The office manager asked if I would take it and I have some chicks in my brooder so I said I would just throw it in with them...Note: I did not see the "chick" yet.... So I get ready to leave and I looked at the little critter and it was not a chick. My boss agreed and said its a turkey, now coming home and looking around I know its a turkey. Can the Turkey Poult give any diseases to my bantam chicks? He cant stay with them long but right now he is smaller than my week old bantams so the poult is just a baby baby. I know he could get black head from the chicks but I just didnt know if the Turkey Poult can give something to my beautiful chicks.

Thanks!

Quote:
if it's a wild turkey shouldn't it go to a wildlife rehabber? in maine, you can get in alot of trouble caring for wildlife without a permit.

I honestly have no idea, the road they found it on had both wild and non wild turkeys on it. The local farms just let their turkeys free range so he could be a bronze and another darker type and not be wild...but the same token he could be. I really do not know. How would I get in touch with someone who does rehab anyways? Ill have to look in to my local laws but I would feel bad if its not a wild breed and does not make it...HUM.. something to look into I guess...

Quote:
if it's a wild turkey shouldn't it go to a wildlife rehabber? in maine, you can get in alot of trouble caring for wildlife without a permit.

I found out its breed! Im almost 100% its a Bronze Broad Breasted Turkey. The farmers on that road said it could be theirs but dont know because their turkeys free range. They said them and their neighbors have Bronze Broad Breasted Turkeys and cross's of that type. it has funny spots like the chicks and it matches their poults. Told me I could keep it because they dont know whos it is and they are worried their turkeys wont take it...IDK all i know is I guess I have to decided what to do with a turkey poult lol. Good eating though lol

Many people hatch chicks out at the same time as poults so that they can teach the poults to eat and drink. I have had my poult in with my "chicks" since they day they hatched. They are 7 weeks old now. Years ago I had my turkeys with my chickens all of the time and never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom