Turkey are gone *update*graphic pics***

Yep we have a top on the pen. My DD was hoping she escaped thru the hole that was put in the pen. We didn't see her in the trees during our walk. Any sign of her dead or alive would make me feel better. At least then I would know.

Our biggest concern is whatever it was had the ability to open up the chain link like that. That's kinda why we were leaning towards dog. That and hubby said a couple of weeks ago he ran some off from around the pen. If he would've mentioned this I would've tried to figure something out.

hugs.gif
sorry for such a loss.

I echo the the others here: Sorry for your loss (still reacting to my own last night). It looked like there's white fur around the hole in your photo--or was that just the feathers? Could that help I.d. the attacker?

Quote:
I love this idea.....I never would have thought of a baby monitor! They are our babies, after all..........

Last edited by a moderator:
The coop is too far away to put anything that uses electric. I would need at least 4 100 foot extension cords. I have the hav-a-hart trap thawing in the house and once it's dry I'm going to set it up there. I'm undecided as to whether to put it next to the body or right inside the turkey house door. I have some braunsweiger that I'm going to use as bait, hopefully the critter finds that appealing.

Those are Mr Gobbles feathers around the hole. That's what got my attention this morning. I saw feathers hung up in the pen wire. With hubs outta work he would take care of the release of the chickens and the watering of all the poultry for me so it was easier on me getting ready for work each day.

If hubby goes back to work before too much longer I'm planning on getting more eggs to hatch as soon as they are available. I got these from the farmers market from a guy that sells mixed dozens of bourbon red, royal palms and blue slates. I'm going to see if he can put me together a dozen slates only this time.

We had a great farm dog until June 2009, she passed away at the ripe age of 15 years. The whole time we had her the only problems we ever had were during times we had her locked up due to just moving to the property. She was a great girl! My hope is to get another german shepard or shepard X once hubs is back to work. Now I've had poultry losses, neighbors dogs and deer chewing on the fruit trees. GRRRRRRR!

Hi, I'm new here but thought I'd offer a suggestion for you. You can get battery operated chargers for an electric fence. They make ones that take just 2 D batteries and it packs quite a jolt.

Well, considering that there's no sign of your girl, I'm guessing that it's a dog that is the culprit. I had a dog attack once and that's what it did...took my duck without leaving any trace except 3 feathers. He came back though...and he lived almost 2 miles away. His owner came and got him...he only came back once more.

Good luck in catching the culprit, but I'm afraid you may catch a coon or two (still that's progress
wink.png
)but still have the true predator out there.

since only one way in coop, set up a snare and you will live catch the predator. If it is a dog you will be able to call AC and hopefully find out owner to recoop your expenses. If it was a dog it will be back. trust me i know!!!!

Just came in from setting up the Hav-a-Hart trap. Loaded it with braunsweiger and weighted down with bricks. I decided to put it right inside the coop door, have to enter the trap to enter the coop. Mr Gobbles is getting a pretty thick layer of ice on him so hopefully whatever it is will nose around and find the trap first. Gonna be a rough night out there and getting to the coop tomorrow may be a challenge, we already have about 1/4" of ice and could get up to and 1/2", yuck. If I don't catch anything in the trap once the ice switches over to snow I might be able to pick up some prints to help ID.

If this trap doesn't get anything I will try to work on the snare thing. I would have to figure out how to make/work one. We have no AC so if it is dog/s they will no longer be a problem. It will be a done deal for them. We were looking forward to hatching some eggs for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner this year so this kinda puts a damper on that.

I had one of the D-cell fence chargers a few years ago. They can pack a punch. My 75 lb shepardXchow hit it one day, was afraid to cross any wire after that. When she went with me to take care of the ducks she had to have the gate opened even if the power was off the horse fence.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the answer I need/want.

Back
Top Bottom