Turkey beginner

GeneralSV

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
I want to raise 1 hen turkey with my female chicken flock, but there are some questions I have:
1. I have close neighbors, will a hen turkey be loud?
2. Will snipping off her flight feathers really prevent her from flying?
3. What is the best breed to have as a pet?
4. I don't want chicks and I've tried searching around my area, any recommendations where I should look?

Thanks!

Female turkeys aren't that loud but the males are louder. I have heard lots of people say diiferent things about this but I wouldn't recommend raising chickens and turkeys together because chickens commonly carry the blackhead protozoa without being affected by it while it can really affect poults and full grown turkeys.

I want to raise 1 hen turkey with my female chicken flock, but there are some questions I have:
4. I don't want chicks and I've tried searching around my area, any recommendations where I should look?

Thanks!
They still are loud, just not as loud as the toms. We’ve trimmed feathers and it’s really done nothing they still will jump/skip/hop, 😂 whatever you wanna call it, but yes it does prevent them from going too high. We’ve raised only broad breasted for harvesting purposes but we do have a midget white Tom and he is pretty awesome! So I would Recommend that breed and you can look on hatcheries, but most hatcheries do straight run so if you are specific in gender, you might want to look locally online. Hope that helps.

Thanks!
The breed is Turkey. You can read about the many different varieties of heritage turkeys at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.
I don't recommend raising a single turkey unless you are planning on harvesting it for food. Turkeys are very social and do best with others of their own kind.

As has been mentioned, if you live in an area where blackhead is a problem, keeping a turkey with chickens can be a death sentence to the turkey.

If you want a hen, you will have to get at least a 3 month old turkey unless you know someone raising sex linked poults which can be sexed at the hatch.

The best place to look is locally. For sale ads, craigslist, local feed stores (not chain feed stores).

Back
Top Bottom