Turkey Behaviors...

peteyfoozer

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
SE Oregon
I am new to turkeys. We have 4 poults, 2 WBB and 2 BBB. They are about 10 days old now, 3 of them are strutting already. One of the BBB runs to my hand whenever I put it in the brooder. He doesn't mind being picked up and is very vocal and active. My question is this...is he going to be more of a 'pet' in his attitude when he grows up, or is he likely to just be unafraid and could he get mean? I only remember my uncle having a mean Tom turkey when I was a kid. I don't know if I am helping these to be friendly until their demise in August, or if I am creating a monster. Just worried about my grandkids coming to visit. I don't want a 20 lb mean bird around!

...what does the strutting mean? Is it an aggressive behavior or just a happy one?

Strutting dosent always mean an aggressive behavior, altough every turkeys attitude can be diffrent. Its normal for young poults to start strutting. I had a tom that was very gentile and nice around me and adults, but for some weird reason he hated little kids, he would always want to spur them. He also hated hats. It was weird. I would say every tom is gonna have his own personatliy. I also had a young jake who was mean to everything and everyone i had to kick him everytime he came close to me otherwise he would spur me. I got rid of that sucker quick. Then theres the toms that just strut around, and show no aggression at all. I think hens have a part to do with how they act.

So I guess it's a 'wait and see' kind of a thing...I will have them out in the back pasture, if all goes well. Maybe at least then I won't have to worry much about the kids visiting.

Hi.
I have 5 BBB poults, you mentioned you thought you had some "tom's". I am new to raising turkeys so my question is how do you tell the difference between Tom and hen at this young of an age. OR can you? mine are 14 days old and all run to me when I put my hand in want to be held .They calm down as soon as they get into the palm of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom