Turkey Breed ID

Jedwards

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

I bought this poult last year as a buff turkey but I'm not quite sure that's what he really is. I looked through pictures of other heritage breeds and can't really pinpoint what he is, short of being a mutt (a hansome one at that). I'm fairly new to turkeys and haven't bred them yet but hopefully he will produce some neat colored poults with his bronze lady turkey. Thanks y'all

I don't think he is a buff turkey because his tail is very detailed and tri-color and he is more of a grayish tan rather than "buff"

that looks like
IMG_0053.JPG
a blue red bronze

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I bought this poult last year as a buff turkey but I'm not quite sure that's what he really is. I looked through pictures of other heritage breeds and can't really pinpoint what he is, short of being a mutt (a handsome one at that). I'm fairly new to turkeys and haven't bred them yet but hopefully he will produce some neat colored poults with his bronze lady turkey. Thanks y'all

I don't think he is a buff turkey because his tail is very detailed and tri-color and he is more of a grayish tan rather than "buff"
It is definitely not a Buff. I have to agree with @austria89 that it looks like a Red Slate.

http://s138.photobucket.com/user/Feathersource/media/Red Slate/Redslatetom.jpg.html

Yes I have one of these toms myself and it is called a red slate and you will get very pretty poults

Per the Turkey Color Calculator on Porter's breeding Red Slate to Red Slate can produce Bronze, Lilac and Red Slate. They can't breed true because they are heterozygous for the slate gene. The Bronze and Lilac can breed true.

Back
Top Bottom