Turkey breed?

He is the type of turkey that was selectively bred for food. They can breed naturally but are not very efficient at it and get worse as they age and increase in size. To extend their life span, they need to be kept active and not over fed. Even then managing to keep a BB tom alive for more than 3 years would be a success story.
He free ranges all day and only gets fed at night. He’s a pretty active guy. I feed him allflock since I have ducks and chickens too. Any advice you can give on diet would be greatly appreciated

This bird does look like a broad breasted bronze tom. The only thing that seems strange to me is the compactness of his structure. It’s almost like he retained a midget gene somewhere in his genetics. Definitely a meat bird - possibly a hybrid. Nice looking bird!
Thanks we just love him! He’s our first turkey! I had no idea what great personalities they have. He’s quite the character! How he earned his name Farley, after the late Chris Farley

He free ranges all day and only gets fed at night. He’s a pretty active guy. I feed him all flock since I have ducks and chickens too. Any advice you can give on diet would be greatly appreciated
My only recommendation is to feed him earlier in the day so that he is not stuffing himself right before bedtime. The longer that you can keep him active, the longer you should have him around.

My only recommendation is to feed him earlier in the day so that he is not stuffing himself right before bedtime. The longer that you can keep him active, the longer you should have him around.
This is important. I highly recommend to feed him early in the morning or, in an attempt to make him a little more tame, feed him in small rations. I’m not going to give you a certain amount to feed — just be observant at first. If he’s not very active, see if you’re feeding him too much, and vice versa.

This is important. I highly recommend to feed him early in the morning or, in an attempt to make him a little more tame, feed him in small rations. I’m not going to give you a certain amount to feed — just be observant at first. If he’s not very active, see if you’re feeding him too much, and vice versa.
Thanks for the advice. He’s actually quite tame!! We got him from an auction and he follows me everywhere!!! He eats from my hand, runs away from the chickens if they come near him, he hangs with the ducks and goose mostly. I have notice when I feed them all at night he tends to wait til the chaos is over then he’ll eat!

Back
Top Bottom