Turkey coop/run/pen requirements? Help!

ephiemarie

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Earlier this month, my husband found an abandoned pheasant chick in the yard that would not leave. So we adopted him and have been raising him in an indoor heated brooder. Sweetest little thing ever!

However, I realized today that Sam-the-pheasant is actually a wild turkey. I had already begun converting our old fenced garden area (15’ x 30’) into a pheasant flight pen—and we live in the country with a large yard—but now I have no idea what to do to make it suitable for raising a pet turkey through Wisconsin weather. We will certainly NOT be eating Sam, so should I find him a friend or two? We’ve never raised birds before, so I’m at a a total loss but want to provide him a decent place to live. Thank you!

I would say a few hens would be nice, they are social creatures.
A note on the run enclosure, make sure it has a roof, or Really tall fence walls. We had a turkey that would straight hop up and over our yard fence (6ft) and we couldn't keep her as she would get into the neighbors yard as well as hop up on our cars.... Hubby was Very mad about the second.

Earlier this month, my husband found an abandoned pheasant chick in the yard that would not leave. So we adopted him and have been raising him in an indoor heated brooder. Sweetest little thing ever!

However, I realized today that Sam-the-pheasant is actually a wild turkey. I had already begun converting our old fenced garden area (15’ x 30’) into a pheasant flight pen—and we live in the country with a large yard—but now I have no idea what to do to make it suitable for raising a pet turkey through Wisconsin weather. We will certainly NOT be eating Sam, so should I find him a friend or two? We’ve never raised birds before, so I’m at a a total loss but want to provide him a decent place to live. Thank you!
I can help. I’m on Wisconsin. I have 18 turkeys. Even can provide you with buddies for your little one if you’d like. Can you text or call me instead? Noelle 262-888-0446 .

If it is a wild turkey and you do not have a permit to have it, it is illegal to keep it. Check with your local DNR agent. There is more than one state that make the possession of a wild turkey completely illegal and will not even issue permits to own them.

Wisconsin does allow a 24 hour window during which time a wild animal/bird may be temporarily possessed. If you had contacted your DNR agent during that time frame, you could have turned over the poult. I assume that you do not have a permit to possess a live wild turkey and are in illegal possession of the poult.

If it is a wild turkey and you do not have a permit to have it, it is illegal to keep it. Check with your local DNR agent. There is more than one state that make the possession of a wild turkey completely illegal and will not even issue permits to own them.

Wisconsin does allow a 24 hour window during which time a wild animal/bird may be temporarily possessed. If you had contacted your DNR agent during that time frame, you could have turned over the poult. I assume that you do not have a permit to possess a live wild turkey and are in illegal possession of the poult.
Yes. You do need a permit. We possess required authorization. Not that I am looking to house a wild turkey. Or any more for that matter. Hell, im trying to reduce my numbers. But you’re correct, you do need permits for such. And it is frowned upon if you’re in possession of animal prior to applying from what I gather. But I’m just spewing crap I’ve heard around. Not positive in that.

Back
Top Bottom